Switzerland Glaciers

Blaunarwal

Hi

I remember with FSX this looked like a glacier. Now with OpenLC Europe and Vector, Aletsch Glacier looks like this in P3D3.4, looking towards Eiger Mönch and Jungfrau.

R4NscnF.jpg

Is this how its meant to be? Looks like the rock under the glacier already appeared and only partial snow coverage remained. It takes another 100 years I hope or more, to give this view in the real world.

In FSX back in 2010 it looked like this as seen from the other direction (over Eiger looking down the glacier)

arjy3gx.jpg

I think I had a glacier freeware, can't find it now in my FSX. I'd expect vector to draw the largest glacier of Europe, with landclass giving glacier textures. Do I expect too much or is somethins wrong?

Regards

Dan

Hi,

I am loading the location now, I do not think Vector would draw this glacier, it is likely you had another add on installed to cover this feature, this is something that would come with a Full Fat Region if it was developed. Back in a sec

Hi Richard

Thanks for confirming, my settings are ok. I wonder, if I can find this scenery again and if it is usable in my actual evironment.

I thought vector could do this either or the landclass. Higher up, there are glacier like textures, snow fields with crevasses. 

Anyway, here's the look of it in reality, when I was there back in 2015.

bGrc3jo.jpg

Hi there,

as Herman correctly points out, the example screenshot in your first post are of a photoreal glacier made from satellite imagery, such as they are included in the mountainous FTX Regions. It's pretty much impossible to depict the strongly directional appearance of glaciers with generic landclass. Thus, the best one could expect of Vector or openLC is to place "ice"-colored polygons in their place but without any of the embedded dirt "stripes" (moraines) and crevasses.

Cheers, Holger

Archived