P3Dv4 CTD after NA regions update

ffm777

Hi,

I already posted in another thread, but nobody seems to take notice there. I have the following problem: Since I updated the NA regions with the recent update, P3Dv4 crashes to desktop after pressing "ok" in the scenerio setup. I uninstalled all NA regions and then P3Dv4 starts up just fine. I then installed each NA region one by one and have nailed the problem down to the Central Rocky Mountains region. P3Dv4 works just fine with all other NA regions installed (I own all of them) but as soon as I install the Central Rocky Mountains area, the sim crashes to desktop after the scenario setup screen. So there is definitely something wrong with this region. I would highly appreciate if you could fix that bug so that CRM can be used again.

Thanks

Carlo

55 minutes ago, KVSandleben said:

If something were wrong with the region in itself, others would see this problem as well. I for example, don't.

So it has to be a combination of CRM and something else you have installed.

+1. No problem at all with all FTX regions installed.

Certainly good to hear that some have no problems, but I'm not the only one with these problems as can be seen in the other thread where I posted before. My system works absolutely flawlessly and everything incl. Prepar3D is updated. And I had no problems running the NRM and CRM region prior to the last update. So there must be something wrong with the recent update. I would highly appreciate a word from Orbx staff during the next week. Thank you!

Just to translate: This means you are telling me to sort out the problem myself, right? So how come the regions worked without any problems before the update and now they don't? So this has nothing to do with the update?

Quick update: I further nailed down the problem and it has to do with an incompatibility with another add-on. I have the old Earthsim Isle of Man scenery installed as an add-on (so with add-on.xml). As soon as I turn off this add-on, the CRM region works fine. On the other hand, when uninstalling CRM, the Isle of Man scenery works fine, too. So the two add-ons don't seem to work together. For whatever reason. This is unfortunate, but at least I found a fix to my problem.

Unfortunately, the NRM region is still not working...

Hello,

1 hour ago, ffm777 said:

Just to translate: This means you are telling me to sort out the problem myself, right? So how come the regions worked without any problems before the update and now they don't? So this has nothing to do with the update?

I do not think that this is in need of translation.

If there were something wrong with the updates,

logically, no one would be able to run P3D after

installing them.

As this is not the case, again logically, there must

be something else wrong.

However, just to "translate" it correctly for you:

"The problem is not with the FTX software but with something else that is already on your PC".

It would appear that this assessment was correct, it was made with the intention of helping you.

At the risk of once again not posting what you wish to read, if you install complex add on scenery

to P3Dv4 that has not been declared compatible, you must accept that there may be unintended

consequences.

If you use the Scenery Config Editor or Simstarter, I suspect that unless you plan a flight from the

Isle of Man to the USA, you could easily avert this conflict by temporarily disabling whichever scenery

you do not plan to use.

I know you guys don't like to hear that, but I still think that something is seriously wrong with the NRM and CRM region. I installed Pacsim KSLC into Prepar3d v4 today and I get that instant CTD after the scenario screen again whenever NRM and CRM are active. As soon as I de-activate the regions, everything works perfectly and I don't get crashes.

I had nearly the same experience with Aerosoft's LPMA. When choosing LPMA after pressing "Start" P3Dv4 crashed. I made a search and found the culprit in FSDT KJFK2. When deactivating KJFK, LPMA had no problems. It seems - according to Mathijs from Aersoft - that there are bugs in LM's add-on.xmls. FSDT's sceneries are embedded in the addon.xmls, Aerosoft's is in the main P3Dv4 folder - as it is the case with ORBX. When having that hint, i built an "old fashioned scenery.cfg" combining the scenry.cfg and the addon.xml to one scenery.cfg  (using a freeware tool) and deleted all sceneries in the addon-xmls and the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons -Folder (within C:\user\mydocuments). After that, everything ran without problems. Maybe you try that - but please keep your originals in a safe place in case there is another problem.

9 hours ago, bt318 said:

I had nearly the same experience with Aerosoft's LPMA. When choosing LPMA after pressing "Start" P3Dv4 crashed. I made a search and found the culprit in FSDT KJFK2. When deactivating KJFK, LPMA had no problems. It seems - according to Mathijs from Aersoft - that there are bugs in LM's add-on.xmls. FSDT's sceneries are embedded in the addon.xmls, Aerosoft's is in the main P3Dv4 folder - as it is the case with ORBX. When having that hint, i built an "old fashioned scenery.cfg" combining the scenry.cfg and the addon.xml to one scenery.cfg  (using a freeware tool) and deleted all sceneries in the addon-xmls and the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons -Folder (within C:\user\mydocuments). After that, everything ran without problems. Maybe you try that - but please keep your originals in a safe place in case there is another problem.

Thanks for this first helpful comment! Could you please also report your finding in this topic on AVSIM:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514459-scenary-add-ons-crash/

I think it is important to gather as much evidence on this as possible. 

Which tool did you use to build the scenery.cfg? 

Quick update: I followed BT318's advice and de-activated all add-on.xml files. Now Orbx CRM and NRM work just fine together with Pacsim KSLC. So this seems to really boil down to a problem with the add-on.xml functionality of P3D.

5 hours ago, ffm777 said:

Which tool did you use to build the scenery.cfg? 

Hi Carlo, this tool is from Lorby-SI "P3DV4AddonOrganizer.exe"

5 hours ago, ffm777 said:

Thanks for this first helpful comment! Could you please also report your finding in this topic on AVSIM:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514459-scenary-add-ons-crash/

I will do today

2 hours ago, ffm777 said:

Quick update: I followed BT318's advice and de-activated all add-on.xml files. Now Orbx CRM and NRM work just fine together with Pacsim KSLC. So this seems to really boil down to a problem with the add-on.xml functionality of P3D.

Thanks for your feedback

Best regards

Bernhard

16 hours ago, ffm777 said:

I know you guys don't like to hear that, but I still think that something is seriously wrong with the NRM and CRM region. I installed Pacsim KSLC into Prepar3d v4 today and I get that instant CTD after the scenario screen again whenever NRM and CRM are active. As soon as I de-activate the regions, everything works perfectly and I don't get crashes.

Hello again.

Does this still stand?

28 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello again.

Does this still stand?

The evidence from other similar cases seems to indicate that this is a problem which occurs whenever one uses sceneries which are registered via the add-on.xml method in the sim. So this doesn't seem to be specific to Orbx scenery, but rather seems to be a bug in P3D v4. So I guess you can mark this as resolved. The more general discussion on the topic can continue in the above mentioned post on AVSIM.

Archived