p3dv4 NA regions update--large fps dip loading night lights

kdfw

until i updated the NA regions PNW, NCA, SCA today, they ran smooth during day/night but after updating them, i'm seeing large dips in FPS (stutter) when the lights ahead in the flight path are rendered.

i'd be going at mainly 30FPS (locked=30FPS) but as the street lights are loaded in the tiles ahead, FPS can dip as low as 2 FPS (about 0.5-1 sec freeze) and I can't get rid of this by playing with the visual settings.  the FPS dips even appear during daytime as well, most prominently in the LA area.

now, orbx UK regions Scottland and England both still run smooth and flying around the Chicago area (day or night) is stutter free.  is there anything that can be done about this?

please see video with clips where the stutter is observed, you'll see street lights pop on in area ahead at the same time.

I removed the !FTX_NA_SCA files from the scenery directory and all is fine...

Very strange I have checked the other scenery files and the !FTX .... has been included... These appear to be the new lighting files

Andrew

you're absolutely correct, placing the !FTX*LM* files in a subfolder to 'deactivate' them reverts night lighting to the FTX global style lighting, thus night lighting performance is much better like before.  

i admit the new LM overlay looks gorgeous but it's a serious buzzkill with the FPS hickups.  

the killer is, when the new LM is active, it even affects daylight FPS stability--on my system, taking off from LAX on the east pointing RW, there's a 1 sec FPS stutter at about the mid-point of the RW at day and night.  deactivating the LM files gets rid of this problem and SCA runs like before the update.

Hope something can be done to improve the new LM performance...

just tried london at night, LM enabled and performance impact wasn't bad, dip down to about 10FPS at worst.  Not as bad as 0.5FPS in los angeles area.

Did you disable the open lc lights for the region as per the control panel? Otherwise you get two sets of lights apparently which may well be the reason for the poor performance.

13 minutes ago, GlennH said:

Did you disable the open lc lights for the region as per the control panel? Otherwise you get two sets of lights apparently which may well be the reason for the poor performance.

not using openLC, just FTX global textures and the regions (SCA, PNW, ENG, SCOT, etc.).

2 hours ago, GlennH said:

I'm seeing the same. I think you can revert in the control panel by unticking 'use new lights'

unfortunately, if openLC isn't installed, that option is not available on the control panel.

thanks for the suggestions.  i only use 2x msaa as i'm using 4k display and it's sufficient.  

as for the settings, pretty much the same, not too aggressive but night light loading for p3dv4 still causes pregnant pauses as the night light tiles are loaded way ahead.  socal is the worst.  as Andrew above said eliminating  !FTX eliminates the pauses...

Hi all,

I find the new NA "full fat" region config tool option relating to the "new FTX lights" extremely confusing. If you have the full fat region and OpenLC NA - must the box be ticket or not ?

The wording is very poor for this config panel option. The manuals do not say anything about this option.

Regards,

2 hours ago, Rhett said:

Hi all,

I find the new NA "full fat" region config tool option relating to the "new FTX lights" extremely confusing. If you have the full fat region and OpenLC NA - must the box be ticket or not ?

The wording is very poor for this config panel option. The manuals do not say anything about this option.

Regards,

Archived