1920x1080

Aceshigh

Hi everyone...    a question about FTX in high res or HD.

Does FTX look ok in 1920x1080 on a 24" LCD monitor?

I never got around to buying my new monitor all those months ago. 

Now when I look at the latest models most are running in 1920x1080.

With my PC I also use a playstation 3 with a HDMI connection and it demands 1080P for best results but if I buy a new monitor for both

PC & PS3 I do not wish to ruin my Flightsim FTX experience. 

So does FTX work and look good when running in 1920x1080 ? 

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Mark.

I'm running 3 x 24" 1920 x 1080 Acers and if you want my opinion, NO.

I think the better solution would be 4:3, but widescreen is all they are making nowadays, so I think we gotta get used to widescreen and all these F'd up resolutions.

If you run triple head2go the best res at the moment is 5040 x 1050. That means to get that res you need to run 3 x monitors at their native resolution of  1680 x 1050.

Of course, as you see the 1920 x 1080 monitor does not do that so you are left short at a max res of 3840 x 1024.

The screen looks slightly distorted and even tho you do get used to it, it just ain't right!

Too bad the people who sell this gear don't have the knowlege to say, "hey bub, do you know that those 3 expensive monitors are not really the best solution for Flight Sim?"

Sometimes it's just one expensive mistake after the next.........

Frank

Frank - I think if he's talking a single monitor, then there should be no problem.

Certainly don't get monitors with native resolutions this high if you're going to use a TH2Go (you should try to stick to the native resolution for the panel you are going to use, in any case)

For a single monitor you should be able to use this resolution (with a standard aspect ratio) and higher - although I personally haven't tried it.

You will need a bit of horsepower to run FSX well at higher resolutions though (ie processor and graphics card memory).

There have been some users who have run FSX through HDMI connectors on Full HD TV's - with the only adverse effect being on marital harmony.

thanks guys... 

Yes only a single monitor for me.    With a PC & PS3 connected.    My PC has a TV card installed so I dont need to buy a TV just for PS3 playing and television viewing.  This room is too small for two screens.  One monitor for both would be nice but the high res may or maynot be a problem for FTX.

I may have to go for a faster Video card later such as a 285 to push more pixels around?      A 9800GTX+ at the moment.

... all comments, views greatly appreciated, helps sort it all out for the best outcome.

Mark

I think the better solution would be 4:3, but widescreen is all they are making nowadays, so I think we gotta get used to widescreen and all these F'd up resolutions.

You must be talking about TH2Go problems, because with a single monitor a widescreen aspect ratio is far superior to a 4:3 screen and there certainly are no effed up resolutions. I'm running FSX just fine on a 24" 16:10 monitor at 19200x1200. Looks beautiful. You can't expect monitor companies to cater for the 1% of the market that actually uses a TH2Go by sticking to an obsolete aspect ratio. Just my 2 cents.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I thought I'd dig up this post, as I'm interested in whether anyone has used a 1920x1080 and a 1920x1200 24" monitor.  Dell have a sale on their G2410 LED, which has awesome colours, but is only 1080.  I'm wondering whether it will look too wide in FSX compared to a 1200-deep screen (more cockpit view?)

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone...    a question about FTX in high res or HD.

Does FTX look ok in 1920x1080 on a 24" LCD monitor?

I never got around to buying my new monitor all those months ago. 

Now when I look at the latest models most are running in 1920x1080.

With my PC I also use a playstation 3 with a HDMI connection and it demands 1080P for best results but if I buy a new monitor for both

PC & PS3 I do not wish to ruin my Flightsim FTX experience. 

So does FTX work and look good when running in 1920x1080 ? 

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Mark.

FTX is GREAT running at 1920x1080. Any monitor that's 19" or bigger that's running at it's native resolution will look fantastic, it's just the size of the screen.

Generally:

A 19" monitor runs at 1440x900

A 20" to 22" monitor runs either 1600 x 900 or 1680x1050

A 23" to 24" monitor runs 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

and so on...

Therefore a 19" monitor running at 1440x900 and a 23" monitor running at 1920x1080 will look almost exactly alike side by side when running any FTX product in FSX. The only change you will notice is the extra 4" of screen!

Knowledge Alert!

1920x1080 = 1080p !

Something that most people don't realize is that when a LCD/LED TV says it is 1080p or 720p they are actually stating the maximum resolution of the LCD/LED TV and the way it processes pixels to create the image.

Therefore if a TV is "HD" at 1080p it is capable of achieving a 1920x1080 resolution using a progressive scan.

If the TV is "HD" at 720p it is capable of achieving a 1280x720 resolution using a progressive scan.

Likewise, if you see 1080i or 720i or some other 'i' or 'p' they are simply stating the maximum resolution and it's form of scanning (scanning being the means for processing pixel values). Also of note is that progressive scan is a sharper picture than an interlace scan, which is why you don't see any new 1080i or 720i products.

So, if you would like to get a monitor that can run FTX products within FSX and a PS3 (that is capable of displaying at '1080p', or 1920x1080), your best bet is to get a monitor that is 23" or larger and capable of accepting an HDMI input from the PS3. It's really that simple, so don't let anybody make it more complicated than it really is!

Happy simming!

I am running a 28" widescreen LCD for my FSX/FTX PC in 1920x1200 and everything looks absolutely gorgeous. I also have an XBox 360 connected to the same LCD that I sometimes run, and I have the Xbox display settings at full 1080i (the max capable for the Xbox 360) and it also looks excellent....everything is crisp and sharp.

Hi all,

I thought I'd dig up this post, as I'm interested in whether anyone has used a 1920x1080 and a 1920x1200 24" monitor.  Dell have a sale on their G2410 LED, which has awesome colours, but is only 1080.  I'm wondering whether it will look too wide in FSX compared to a 1200-deep screen (more cockpit view?)

Thanks for your help!

Hello

If you fly using virtual cockpit both resolutions would be fine as long as you select the appropriate resolution in FSX.  I believe 1920x1200 will allow you to see more cockpit (in VC) over 1920x1080 in terms of height, but width will remain the same since both will have 1920 pixels - neither will skew the image.  If you still use the 2d cockpit (does anyone nowadays???) then I think it depends on the resolution of the panel, and to my knowledge no one really makes 2d panel to that high a resolution so either monitor will skew your 2d panel, although the scenery shouldn't be affected if you select the appropriate resolution in FSX.

Cheers!

Jason

Archived