Do Y need FreeMeshX

nisseFlying

I use FreeMeshX and would recommend it.  Especially since it is free.

FreeMeshX improves the "mesh" resolution, compared to the default mesh.

FreeMeshX is 38m (LOD 9) for everywhere except 78m (LOD 10) Antarctica, Greenland, and Russia (north of 60 degrees).  US mesh is not included in the current release because the default is already 38m.

Default FSX/P3D mesh is 38m for the US, 76m for Canada, Europe, Japan, & Australia.  The rest of the world varies, but can be pretty poor.

The better 38m resolution will give you some improvement over the default 76m areas and will be a huge improvement over other areas, like South America or Africa, where the default mesh resolution is much worse.

Edit: You won't see any change to your Orbx Norway or Germany North because they include even better mesh, 10m and 20m respectively.

I'm interested on FreeMeshX since some time.

But I want to know if this pruduct is totally compatible with all the ORBX products, including regions, openLC, global base, vector, etc.

I understated that the regions products have a mesh included, openLC don't.

Must I install this?

I don't want to break my simulator.

2 hours ago, Rodrigo Bravo said:

I'm interested on FreeMeshX since some time.

But I want to know if this pruduct is totally compatible with all the ORBX products, including regions, openLC, global base, vector, etc.

I understated that the regions products have a mesh included, openLC don't.

Must I install this?

I don't want to break my simulator.

Yes, it is compatible with Orbx.

Yes, the ORBX regions have mesh included (except Australia, which is why there is freeware Holgermesh for Australia).  

OpenLC does not contain mesh, it is just land class.

Add-on mesh is not required, but it can really improve the terrain in many places.

FreeMeshX won't break your simulator.  It is easy to install and you can install as many areas as you want.  If you don't like it, you can just remove it.  It is also easy to temporarily disable it, by simply un-checking it in the P3D scenery library.

Any third party add-on mesh (FreeMeshX, FS Global, ...) will cause some airports to be in trenches or on plateaus.  This is because some of the default FSX/P3D elevations are wrong, but the add-on mesh is accurate.  Orbx's Airport Elevation Correction (AEC) tool will fix many of them and you can manually fix them too.  In my opinion, a good add-on mesh makes the sim look better and is worth the inconvenience of needing to correct a few airports.

19 hours ago, h3pilot said:

Yes, it is compatible with Orbx.

Yes, the ORBX regions have mesh included (except Australia, which is why there is freeware Holgermesh for Australia).  

OpenLC does not contain mesh, it is just land class.

Add-on mesh is not required, but it can really improve the terrain in many places.

FreeMeshX won't break your simulator.  It is easy to install and you can install as many areas as you want.  If you don't like it, you can just remove it.  It is also easy to temporarily disable it, by simply un-checking it in the P3D scenery library.

Any third party add-on mesh (FreeMeshX, FS Global, ...) will cause some airports to be in trenches or on plateaus.  This is because some of the default FSX/P3D elevations are wrong, but the add-on mesh is accurate.  Orbx's Airport Elevation Correction (AEC) tool will fix many of them and you can manually fix them too.  In my opinion, a good add-on mesh makes the sim look better and is worth the inconvenience of needing to correct a few airports.

Great!

I want FreeMeshX for South America, the whole area is really wrong, extremely noticeable on the Andes. With a nice Mesh + ORBX Vector and the future openLC S. A. will be great.

And I'm going to use the ORBX's Airport Elevation Correction.

Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, Rodrigo Bravo said:

And I'm going to use the ORBX's Airport Elevation Correction.

Umm... Isn't this part of Vector, which isn't available for P3D v4 as yet?  Or have I missed something?

I had assumed that if I migrate to v4 I will have to accept seeing airport anomalies once more (if I upgrade the default mesh).

21 minutes ago, Ariel said:

Umm... Isn't this part of Vector, which isn't available for P3D v4 as yet?  Or have I missed something?

That's a really good question!  The EAC did originally come with Vector.  

I still have P3Dv3.

Perhaps someone with P3Dv4 could chime in on if they have the AEC available under the tools section in FTX Central?

3 hours ago, Rodrigo Bravo said:

I want FreeMeshX for South America, the whole area is really wrong, extremely noticeable on the Andes.

South America was the first place I checked out when I got FreeMeshX.  Before I installed it I took some screen shots around Mexico City, in El Salvador, Patagonia, and in southern Chile and Argentina (around Ushuia).  I then went back and took screen shots after I installed the mesh.  There were some huge improvements!

I'm looking forward to openLC South America, so we'll have improved land class too.

The default mesh and default land class aren't too bad in the USA and parts of Europe, but much of South America, Africa, and Asia are pretty weak.

Archived