grass depressions near runway at lilydale

Firstly thanks guys for your great addon airports. I am using christian stocks vicmesh and have notice that at lilydale there are large depressions in the grass areas next to the runway. My aircraft fell into one whilst taxying and they are hard to see. Is this happening with holdgers mesh as well ? It may also be a problem at other airports and I wonder if it is the 20m vicmesh causing the problems.

The issue is the afcad vs the mesh. YLIL purposefully does not have a flatten which is fine for the usual meshes and you end up with  a few bumps etc along the taxiways. but with a the higher res mesh the afcad taxiways stay at the airfield height so you may have a case of the taxiway being a little higher than the surrounding grass. I could have put a nice big flatten there but then its billiard table smooth and lacks character as well as having sharp drops of the ends of the flatten. Hopefully in future FS versions we can have the terrain mesh dictate the airport surface with truly sloped runways etc.

On saying that if you have the regular or holgers 76m mesh, but slide your terrain resolution to high res you will see the drainage trenches across the whole lilydale scenery. Dont overrun 18L or 18R you will rip off your gear.  :o

Re: Ravensthorpe

Make sure you have Mesh Resolution set at 76m, Scenery Complexity at 100% and Texture Resolution 1m.  All of my strips are designed for Holger's mesh set at 76m.

Marty, glad you've gone with the minimal flattening at YLIL (just using the AFCAD taxiways?).  Love the ground irregularity off the runways.  Looks fine to me except I still have black gables.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is one trap for young players at Lilydale.  If you let FSX locate you by default at the threshold of Lilydale, when you have the freeware installed, it places you where the default runway started.  If it is runway 36L on the new, it puts you way behind the markers.  Then you have a bumpy start to your takeoff run until you reach the 'new' runway. 

It is best to choose a ramp position, and then taxi to your runway of choice for take-off.  Although there is no windsock or ATIS to help, but that's a small thing only.  Get YMEN's ATIS and apply that.

• 2 weeks later...

The same phenomena is experienced at Ravensthorpe, when landing on the dirt runway and crossing the asphalt runway. Quite annoying really and hopefully it can be fixed soon. :)

Will check YNRV again as I'm now using different settings: 10m/100%/15cm - what you gain on the roundabouts, you lose on the swings.

EDIT: changed poly height by 0.3m - FIXED (for me)

Archived