P3D v4 autogen popping

Paul - it looks to me as though you are simply travelling  too fast for your system to keep up. There is a finite limit to how fast any system can compute and display the images of the ground that you fly over. Higher slider settings - e,g, higher terrain resolution, higher autogen, more weather detail etc  will lower the rate at which the graphics can be displayed. So if you fly too fast over the terrain you will "outrun" the range of displayed graphic detail. When you are near this limit even rapid turns will start to cause autogen popping and perhaps frame rate lag.

Example - I've just loaded P3d v4 and am currently trying out the limits of my system. Jump in the P38 and wing around over central LA at <2000 feet and  <300 knots - with most sliders set to max and the graphics and autogen are as smooth as silk and the world is beautiful to behold. Swap out the ride for an F35 and cross the 400 knot line and popping starts. Hit the gas and cross 600+ knots and the scenery in front empties of autogen.

P3d V4 may have eased the OOM issue but there is no magic bullet to overcome a demanding graphic load other than better / faster hardware. You may not like to hear this but you probably need to ease down your graphic settings or ease off the gas peddle, 

All the best RT

RT

Thanks for your advice. The issue I have is that this problem didn't exist for me in P3D v3.4. the autogen gradually faded in, in front of me, as we fly along. This is an A320 full sim and this popping is very noticeable and incidentally, I don't recall the exact speed, but it was no more than 230kts.

I was starting to wonder if it was a affinity mask I need.

P

Does changing the LOD radius in the roaming/prepar3d/  folder and editing the  prepar3d.cfg to a higher value help at all? Isn't the default like

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

Would changing it to say 8.000000 if his PC can handle it help at all?

Hello,

The default maximum is 6.5 and I understand that this has no relationship to the previous LOD radius settings.

Set at maximum, I can see autogen all the way into the distance, to the point where it is so far away that

one cannot see if it is autogen or not.

However, if the speed is too high, it is quite possible to make the autogen disappear and thereafter, it loads

back in exactly as shown in the video.

I think that this will happen regardless of the settings.

There is a different tweak in P3D v4. which allow it to draw sharp textures way into the distance but unless the PC has 8

to 12 GB of RAM on the graphics card and around 32 GB on the motherboard, using the tweak simply causes the

PC to run out of memory and stop.

Volkira

Thank you. I have tried that, but I'm really hesitant to add things to the cfg as I'm told it really shouldn't need it.

After some testing and taking into consideration Rat's advice, I deleted the cfg and started fresh by adding in slowly and testing as I went.

I discovered the problem lies with Autogen Draw Distance. If I use anything over HIGH the autogen begins to pop into view rather than load gently and gradually.

My system is reasonably good. i7 6700k, GTX1080, 32GB ram. So I'm not quite sure why it is doing that...would anyone like to hazard a guess?

P

10 hours ago, AlphaTech said:

My system is reasonably good. i7 6700k, GTX1080, 32GB ram. So I'm not quite sure why it is doing that...would anyone like to hazard a guess?

Is your cpu overclocked?

Being at 4.7GHz or more should help a bit.

gb.

Archived