Still confused about post-SP3 installations

Alan_A

I hate to reopen a topic that everybody's probably tired of, but unfortunately I'm still confused about how to handle installations of payware and freeware after installing the SP3 patch.

My status: I own the English-language download versions of all four AU regions, and installed the download version of the SP3 patch.  I don't have the SP3 DVD.  Before patching, I'd installed YMML and Coffs Harbour, as well as the OZx airports.  After patching, I installed the SP3 version of AU Traffic (v2.10).  But I haven't yet installed the other payware and freeware airports.  I was about to when I stated reading the patch-related instructions.

My confusion: In his clarification post, John V. said: "...do not install any older Orbx products until they re-appear in the FSS store with the "SP3 Certified" logo on them. This means they have unicode/umlaut support built and will work seamlessly with FTX Central."

But in his state of the union post, he said: "Also please note there is nothing to stop you from installing ANY of the non-SP3 products in the meantime. The ONLY thing we ask if that you are using a non-English version of FSX, that you first make a backup of your scenery.CFG file so that the older buggy versions of ftxconfigurator.exe don't mess it up. You can easily manually add in the the scenery library entries."

So... at this point, should I install only the SP3-certified add-ons, per the clarification post?  Or should I install all the add-ons, per the state of the union post?

Am happy to wait for SP3-certified versions, if that's the best practice.  Would just like to know which is the better way to go.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered, but since I haven't been able to locate the answers, I thought I'd ask directly.

Thanks in advance.

Alan,

as you allready mentioned "this does not apply to the english versions" this note is for other lenguages like German, French, etc

in case of doubt you can re-install the SP3.001 and SP3.001b patches and all should be well ;)

Also could you please be so kind and add your ordernumbers to your sig as per forum rules for support.

Info on how to do this is here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1415.0

Hi Alan

It may ease your mind to know the following.

I had to reinstall everything recently on my rebuilt computer following a small....err.... 'accident' with overclocking!  Anyway, on the basis of do it first and read instructions later, I reinstalled everything in the order I picked up the back-up discs. The only concession I made to uniformity was that I installed all the Australian stuff in the one go if you see what I mean.

I've got everything for Australia and got it all as it was released so most of it was pre SP3 but a little of it was after.  The result is it all sorted itself out perfectly as far as I can see.  All the airports seem to work fine, the AI certainly does and so too does OZx.

What I'm trying to say is you have no worries.  It'll all work fine.  The only thing you might end up with is two Microsoft Flight Simulator X folders, one containing everything and the other containing OzX Scenery/World stuff.  If you experience this, although it works perfectly well, you may wish to transfer the contents to the main World Scenery folder which is what I've done.  The only small and silly problem I'm left with is having transferred the stuff to its proper place, I still can't get rid of the empty extra Microsoft Flight Simulator X Folder.  When I try to delete it, I get a message saying it cannot be deleted because its not there any more.  And I'm sitting there staring at it!  Blooming computers!! ::);D

Nevertheless, its no trouble so I've left it there unused and unwanted :(

So slap it all on and enjoy it.

John

Archived