New Videocard

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

Guys need a new card looking at the GTX 285 1 gig, apart from gigabyte what other good companys out there?

l want a eVGA but the only place l found in Vic was $500, but other places were around $450.

any help would be great

Paul

Guest boeingqa

If you can l would hold off on the i7, l heard the i9 might be pretty good. l will look at the GTX 275, If their aint much difference l might have a look see.

Regards

Paul

Guest boeingqa

l thought the GTX 295 isnt the best for fsx? l`m still looking at the GTX 275 or 285, l dont think it would make that much

of a difference. l want something to get me by till nvidia releases there next high end. What do people think? 285 or 275?

Thx

Paul

Easy Mitchell

MSY Technologies is a gray import company run by people who's first language is not English hence the translations and grammar are appalling, the prices are however amongst the most competitive that you will find in Australia.

My (limited) understanding is that the GTX295 is effectively two GPUs bolted together and functions more or less like an SLI card.

It is not that it "won't work" - it is just that the extra you pay for it probably won't get the performance you are looking for.

@Paul: I'm not sure why you would expect to be happier with a GTX275 1Gig card than you were with a GTX285 2Gig card.  But if you are convinced the faulty card is the root of your problems ... then ... ok.

Personally I can run a GTX280 with the AA and filtering settings I want (ie MAX).  I think a 85 or 275 card would be just fine.  Whether it will solve the specifc problem you were having .......  remains to be seen.

As Mozz has said, simply replacing hardware isn't necessarily a panacea here ... but the government will be very pleased that you are helping the local computer retail industry in tough economic times.

Just make sure you keep some money aside to buy scenery add-ons. ;)

Guest boeingqa

Well with regards to scenery and airports l have the Credit card for that hehehehe.

l think l will go with the Gtx 285 but try XFX. l`ve had XFX and they were great.

Thx guys

Paul

Guest boeingqa

LOL mango l just finished looking at the ati 5870, and l`m might be getting it. worth the try.

Let you know how l go, by the by is it better sticking with major companies? like xfx, eVGA ect...powercolor has one and its around $75 cheaper than Xfx

Thanks Paul

The 295, like all dual cards, is useless for fsx. It will only use half of it's potential.

The best available card at the moment is the EVGA 285, the 2 gig one. The 1 gig card is already o/clocked and may be faster, but the 2 gig is smoother.

Easy Mitchell

MSY Technologies is a gray import company run by people who's first language is not English hence the translations and grammar are appalling, the prices are however amongst the most competitive that you will find in Australia.

Thanks for the heads up, Maurice. I was only talking about the layout etc, not the language.

As has already been said here and on the forum many times over, the 285GTX is the best card for FSX at the moment.

Don't be fooled by the hype. The biggest and best card to buy at the moment (NVIDIA wise) is the 295GTX (of which i bought), is indeed 2 gpu's bolted together with about 1.8Gb RAM on it.

Unfortunately, FSX does not recognise SLI, so the 295's second gpu is redundant for FSX's use and FSX only recognises half of the available ram.

I got mine at a good price, but still should not have let my friend the distributor, talk me out of buying the 285GTX, which was what I had ordered.

This is all not to say the 295GTX isn't a fine card and doesn't run FSX well, but why pay the extra when so many people here have tried and tested the best card, which is the 285GTX, including the "big cheese", JV.

Frank

I grabbed an Asus 5870 two weeks ago and have been testing it against my EVGA GTX 285 FTW on an i7 975 powered machine. Much to my surprise it’s been doing very well with FSX, something I couldn’t say about the 4870x2 that this card is replacing.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1504 BIOS)

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT

Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)

ASUS/ATi 5870

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista 64/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs

WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – FSX

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W

LIAN LI PC-A70B

• 1 month later...

LOL mango l just finished looking at the ati 5870, and l`m might be getting it. worth the try

sorry guys I am not a PC-guru, but can tell you out of own experience that the ATI5870 (2X) is [glow=red,2,300]not[/glow] a good vidcard for FSX (on a XP 32bits). I am in a process of rebuilding my system and will defintly go for the 285GTX card (on W7 64bits) (or the 295GTX if they don't sell the 285cards anymore)

just to let you guys know my (rather inferior) experience with the ATI cards and FSX

kind regards!

LOL mango l just finished looking at the ati 5870, and l`m might be getting it. worth the try

sorry guys I am not a PC-guru, but can tell you out of own experience that the ATI5870 (2X) is [glow=red,2,300]not[/glow] a good vidcard for FSX (on a XP 32bits). I am in a process of rebuilding my system and will defintly go for the 285GTX card (on W7 64bits) (or the 295GTX if they don't sell the 285cards anymore)

just to let you guys know my (rather inferior) experience with the ATI cards and FSX

kind regards!

What is a “ATI5870 (2X)�

With 4GB of RAM any 1GB video card isn't going to be any good running on Windows XP 32bit.

I can't think of anything but a “(rather inferior) experience†with gaming on a 32-bit OS. 

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1639 BIOS)

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT

Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)

Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 9.11)

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64

WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – FSX

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W

LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 1202)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme

Mushkin XP3-12800 Ascent 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

EVGA GTX 285 FTW (195.62)

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista Ultimate 64/SP2

SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST

SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

Hi Wolter,

Thx for your post!

As you know I am in the process of building my new system!

My PC-profider says that he got only GTX280 cards (doesn't have GTX285 available because he says that these cards are not made anymore)

Anyhow I have the choice for a GTX280  or have to wait for the GTX295-series next year! I understand from the forums not to go for a bairly usuable 290-series so I probably better go for the GTX280.  I believe that is the best choice I can go for now?

Thx for help!

Kind regards

Hi Hans,

odd to hear that the 285 is not available in Belgium, maybe you should push the guy a bit more that he puts some effort in it or maybe you should just order it overhere, have a look at www.tweakers.nl and do a search for a 285, you'll find plenty of dealers who have 'm in stock ;)

just for a quicky I entered EVGA 285

this is what it came up with  =>  EVGA GTX285 2GB DDR3 PCI-E FTW

Archived