Ground textures appearing at sea in FSX

johnfromoz

Over the last week or so I have been plagued by land textures appearing offshore in FSX. I first noticed it after installing Solomon Islands scenery (see thread below, which includes a screenie in my post). However, I don't want to pursue the question in that thread as I am not absolutely certain it's related, and others seem very happy with that scenery.

This is how it looks, a rather spooky submerged suburb off Orbx' Cairns, Qld. Some autogen trees seem to be part of the effect.;

2017-5-4_cairns.jpg

I have uninstalled the Solomons scenery, but the problem remains. I have installed no other scenery recently.
I have reinstalled Orbx Vector, and the PNG freeware packs - the issue as far as I have looked seems to be around Australia and PNG.
An online search only leads me to subjects from five or six years ago, and a few point to the old issue of not switching Orbx regions under the old FTC control panel system, now no longer in use.
Not being a techie in respect to FS scenery, I have no ideas left. Has anyone got any suggestions at all? If I need to reinstall FSX I may just move to Train Sim in preference!

Hi John,

Go to settings into FTX Central then choose "Force a re-migration of your unified lclookup"

Thanks again Richard. Tried that twice with no visible effect - a third time (which I have not checked for results) took about 3-4 minutes. From my reading of FTX Central, if it's been previously migrated it is likely to run instantly, so I wonder if that points to anything.

At present, the offshore landclass seems to be regional, around Australia, the Solomons and PNG (I am yet to check NZ).

Worldwide, I have not seen that problem. However, airfield levels have gone haywire world-wide, coincident with the landclass issues. They seem  to range from underlying "AFD" runway textures flickering through, to floating hard surfaces and large intrusions of trees. LOWI had semi-submerged people and static and dynamic vehicles at the western end of the apron area. AYPY Jackson is a multi-level nightmare, with two levels of hard surface and floating aircraft above that. I have reinstalled both YBCS Cairns and LOWI Innsbruck, as well as the PNG freeware packs, and updated Scotland (where I had tree intrusions at EGPC Wick) as well as reinstalling Vector.
My FSX seems to be turning into a train wreck. As I say, I don't know where to begin looking for answers.

Hello John,

Sorry about the omission, my mistake.

I have taken a look at your scenery library and to be honest, there is so much in there,

I cannot even guess what might be causing the problem.

A herculean task though it may be, probably the only solution will be to disable every addon

and then add them back one by one to see which one(s) are the cause.

Thanks for looking, Nick. I have a fair idea which ones were installed pre-problems. I'll disable a bunch of the very latest and take it from there.

I hope it's not a broken FSX! ;)

Have to admit the Sunken Suburbs of Cairns is fascinating to see. Just not the look I was hoping for!

Thanks Richard. No, not that - I have Orbx YBCS. My setup is now based on Orbx entirely. On that I have added OzX, Alan Blencowe and one or two other well known Aussie designers in the region. Any corruption is more likely from something in another region, though I don't know how likely that is. I'm working through, deactivating sceneries a few at a time til I see some change, then narrowing it from there. Or maybe my FSX is just broken :(

Though I haven't finished deactivating other sceneries, I think I've reached the point that my FSX needs uninstalling and starting again. CAG8 Pender Island now has forest where water should be, and worldwide airports have either autogen tree intrusions or floating hard surfaces or both. Whatever the cause, it defeats the purpose of having Orbx quality scenery installed.
That being the case, I'll get to it some time. See you all in a month or two!

• 2 weeks later...

I gave it a last try. Always worth it! Deactivated every addon except Orbx, and didn't need to go that far.
Reactivated, a few at a time. As the gap grew smaller, it was obvious I would very soon find the problem addon.
With everything reactivated, the problems vanished! It defies logic! So irrational and irritating I suspect I may once have been married to it! (Oops, did I say that out loud?)
I did update Orbx Pago Pago in the middle of it all, and I would be surprised if that was relevant, but that's the only difference.
Now, I've heard it's possible to just switch on FS and fly around. I may try that.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

• 1 month later...

By way of rounding this off in case anyone else has a similar issue and looks here;

I recently installed Aerosoft's US Cities sceneries for Cleveland and Boston. Both had autogen houses and trees in the rivers and out from their coasts, as if half their respective states had washed down-river.
By a sheer blind shotgun approach (asked Google) I found on the Aerosoft forums a claim that that it happens to some sceneries when frozen water bodies are left on in FTX Vector.
I left mine on in the faith that ice would turn up in season. I switched it off, and the floating trees and houses vanished.
In my May 25 post just above, I said I had gone through, deactivating and reactivating. Probably when I revived "Global" it defaulted to "ice off", and that, rather than fixing a corrupted scenery, might have been the answer.
So all I can say is, try it if you are ever facing undesired offshore suburbs!

Archived