FTX Global Install Results

pphibbs

Hi Guys,

Just downloaded all 3.92 gb of FTX Global via Central V3 over about 6 hrs and found that if I switch aircraft from the default cessna, in external view, the sim freezes with no textures on the aircraft chosen, i.e., all black. This has now happened twice in a row and I"ve waited a considerable time for the textures to be loaded but FSX appears to be frozen. I'll try using the defaut cessna just to see what happens and also selecting another aircraft. Any thoughts appreciated.

Got to say, I'm a bit concerned. The sim has been behaving well the last week or so and now it appears to be "stuffed".

Regards, Paul

OK, just rebooted, loaded FSX with the default Cessna at my default airfield YSCN in Sydney. Once loaded, I can change views OK, fly and land OK but as soon as I select a different plane (I picked another FSX default aircraft - Cessna with glass cockpit) the screen is frozen with no textures on the aircraft. This time I left the view inside the aircraft.

FSX is frozen with no alternative but to reboot the computer or kill the FSX session (as this time I ran FSX in a window session, so I could kill the application once it froze.

This is EXTREMELY disappointing. I've yet to install FTX Vector. I should add, I backed up all my drives prior to performing the installation of FTX Global but didn't select the backup process that FTX Global offered, as I didn't think it was necessary.

Regards, Paul

OK after considerable testing, it appears the only thing I can't do now is change planes. If I load the plane from the start that I want to fly, I can use it but can't load another plane once the first plane has been selected. I can see evidence of FTX Global on scenery in other parts of the world, so it has been installed OK.

I do need to be able to change planes though and the default aircraft Cessna (cold and dark) is my usual starting point for selecting other aircraft.

Really interested in hearing any ideas.

Regards, Paul

One more thing - I can select the same aircraft, so the process of selecting an aircraft works but if I select any other aircraft, when the screen is redrawn for the new aircraft, no textures appear on the aircraft and the sim freezes.

Regards, Paul

New behaviour identified after installing the FTX Global product. FSX won't exit properly. Task Manager shows fsx.exe still holding memory even though the app has disappeared from the active applications. The only solution is to End Process, so that FSX can be reloaded.

My test: If I load FSX to the opening screen for selection of aircraft, airfields etc and simply close FSX down, it exits cleanly although takes a minute or two to clear any memory holdings. If I go one step further and go to an air field then exit. The application disappears from the task bar but on inspection of the Task Manager, memory is still being held by fsx.

This is yet another way that this product has messed with my perfectly running FSX environment.

So far, provided you don't change planes, you can fly without error and relocate to other airfields. I can clearly not the presence of the Global textures in various locatons around the globe.

Very disappointed...

Hi Paul

I highly doubt FTX Global base is capable of causing this much havoc with an FSX installation as it is only a default texture replacement, however please feel free to uninstall it and restore your FSX back to the default textures that were backed up when you installed Global and confirm all the issues are resolved.

Hi Doug, it was definitely working well prior to the installation of FTX Global. I've been testing with each upgrade of the scenery managed by Central V3 to ensure no issues before moving onto the next one. I used my own backup tool to backup each drive prior to installing FTX Global. I'll restore both C and D drives and come back to you. 

I'm looking for short cuts in restoring my environment back to before the Global textures install.

I'm happy to restore all of my drive D, which holds my FSX software.

I'd like to know if I only need to restore my FSX folder under my User profile to complete the environment or are there registry settings and other System locations I need to cater for on my Drive C (OS partition).

Regards, Paul

Apologies guys, the FTX Global wasn't the cause of my issues. After finally restoring the OS partition (which took a few attempts) the issue remained for a backup taken prior to installing FTX Global.

I have another backup taken before using Central V3 to update all my products, so I will probably go back to that one, which was definitely behaving alright. Then I'll move forward again ensuring the issue doesn't reappear with each upgrade.

Regards, Paul

On a final note, the final testing I did was to do with my NA airports. After which I upgraded the NA regions. As this was harder to test not going to a specific location I decided to just ensure FSX processed the new scenery OK, before creating my final backup prior to installing FTX Global. It was during these final installs of the NA Regions that the issue developed, as I have simple removed all the NA Regions and NA Airports and FSX is behaving correctly, i.e., I can change aircraft and FSX exits correctly when ending the application.

I will now work through the regions and advise when the issue reoccurs (if it does).

Regards, Paul

Guys,

This is not an FTX related issue. The problem has been resolved and as it is important that it can be referenced by others that might experience it, I'm making a separate post.

Regards, Paul

Archived