Orbx products and FS Altitude ?

steph1664

I was looking at the FS Altitude product and quite interested until I read a review which pointed out that directly below the aircraft the scenery will be whatever the main scenery is, in a square formation, and quite different usually to the FS Altitude scenery.  THis has the effect of making the scenery only good for looking out at an angle, which would make it frustrating in my opinion.

If anyone knows differently feel free to correct me!

Guys

I have FS Altitude Australia but was not sure whether to mention that I had it on the Orbx forums. I have been eager to tell the FTX users how compatible it is with FTX and how you don't see the repetitious tile effect when flying over 10000ft when it is switched on. I switch it on in the FSX scenery options before starting a flight planned for over 10000ft. The scenery looks real even way out into the distance. Admittedly you do have an area that reverts back to the FTX scenery directly under the aircraft and goes out a certain distance in all directions, however you only notice it when you have descended to below about 6000ft or bank steeply. When I do a high altitude flight I leave it switched on for the whole flight as the area of the FTX scenery under the aircraft increases with decrease of altitude so the lower you get the more of FTX you see and it tends to blend in with the FS Altitude scenery fairly well.

I also use "World & USA Extreme Landscapes" which adds more accuracy to the elevation of mountains and valleys. A flight at 40000ft from Canberra to Jervis Bay in the resident F/A-18 is simply stunning. the mountains and gorges in that area really stand out.

Thats my 2 bobs worth.

Rob       

Glad I came across this as I have been considering getting FS Altitude.  FTX is great when flying at typical GA altitudes but at higher levels you still get pattern repetitions similar to that experienced with the default scenery.  Looks like FS Altitude might be a worthwhile complement to FTX albeit at a rather steep price.

Bruceb

Archived