SP1 installed on Vista Ultimate 64

O.k. i am calm now again...  ;D.  Just like to share my experience.

You have to be very patient, it's a 3 stage install with reboots. After the last reboot i heard severe crackle noises in the headset - X-Fi driver problem. Luckily 2 days ago a new one was released. I uninstalled the sound driver and the following reboot left the screen black. I can't say if it actually booted into the BIOS, the monitors had no signal... After several boot attempts the monitors suddenly responded and i was able to install the new sound driver - from there on everything was back to normal. Just don't ask me why i had boot problems in the first place, i have not the smallest idea...

After a C: drive defrag (that was necessary), it was time to check out FSX. Taking off at Redcliffe, i was heading towards Brisbane and what a surprise.... Autogen at very dense gave me 28 to locked 30 FPS with the big airport filled with traffic nearby. That is noticeable better than usual - no doubt ! The bad news ? Well, vsync is broken again with a driver which worked without SP1. But i am sure we will get one soon (at least i hope so). The performance gain on my system was worth the effort.

SP1 has broken vsync in FSX DX9 on my system too, Vista 64 home premium, E8200, 8800GT 1G. Fortunately the installation of SP1 was relatively pain free via Windows update. I'm looking forward to being able to flying from Redcliffe in FTX  :)

Yea, I just pust SP1 on my Vista 32-bit, and it works great, even fixed issue on my dual monitor setup, where my 22inch monitor would not allow me to switch to settings, and then back to full screen.  SP1 fixed that issue for me, and getting a small FPS improvement, like 1-2 fps.  But hey any FPS improvement is great.

Guys, do any of you have a TrackIR? I've installed SP1 (Ultimate 32bit), and now my TrackIR application doesn't appear to start at all, but the device is still recognised and appears to be functioning in device manager.

I've made a post about it on the manufacturer's forum, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

thanks mango for the info here, I also have a X-fi card and it was randomly playing up on booting up, sometimes I had sound and other times I had loud crackling which required a reboot. So I also installed that new driver and added sp1 for vista 64bit and touch wood my sound card is working properly now. Cheers  :)

How did those 174.53 drivers go Mango? Did they fix the VSync problem?

Sorry for my late reply.

Nope 174.53 didn't fix the problem and the performance was lousy. But somebody in the MS Beta News Group found out, that 174.60 will bring back vsync as long as you use the FSX Profile and force vsync on in there. I'll try this later today.

Yea, I have Trackir, using it right now, and it works great,same as normal in Vista 32-bit SP1.  That is a strange issue you have, not even sure where to tell you to start. 

Guys, do any of you have a TrackIR? I've installed SP1 (Ultimate 32bit), and now my TrackIR application doesn't appear to start at all, but the device is still recognised and appears to be functioning in device manager.

I've made a post about it on the manufacturer's forum, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

No problems over here after SP1. Do you get a blue light on the IR device on your monitor ? Did you try to unplug the USB cable -> reboot PC -> plug in ? If the software itself doesn't load at startup, i would uninstall and reinstall.

Ok thanks gwolb, Mango.

Mango yeah, I've done all that de-install - reinstall, reboot (as the administrator), tried a different two different USB ports, and all I get is the bottom blue flashing about every six seconds or so. Device Manager picks it up and that is all ok, but the trackir.exe doesn't run and doesn't appear in task manager.

When using the mouse emulator it just pops up a message saying "Unabled to initialize TraclIR" (great English, he he). Like I said I've posted my woes on the OEM's forum, but no response yet being Easter. I doubt it's the hardware, as to me it seems too much of a co-incidence that it was fine right before SP1 and dead after SP1.

I remember that i had this problem a long time ago with Vista 32 as well - TrackIR.exe didn't load. I added it manually to the Windows Startup sequence (i used jv16 Power Tools for this task, but i am sure you can do this without additional programs).

However, it's funny that your blue LED is blinking. Never saw this happen before.

Btw - 174.70 is released over here : http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?s=d6448270f7f861b47323f6760bb51bf7&showforum=66

Thanks Mango. FYI My blue LED has blinked ever since I got it, it does (when it's working) come on solid when trackir.exe is up and running.

Nope, mine shows only up when an application starts which can communicate with TrackIR. Always solid then. The exe is loaded when Windows starts though (shows a tray icon).

Happy happy over here guys ! I installed 174.70, added FSX.exe to the profiles and forced vsync. It works and the performance is very good (best so far). Unfortunately the driver crashes the PC (complete lockup) when i try to change to windowed mode with alt+enter...  ::). But maybe this one gets addressed soon as well. For now i don't complain, got 29 FPS average with very dense autogen and lots of traffic at Brisbane Intl. And that's really good...

Mango, wonder if you can help me, or anyone else?

I am trying to run FSX/FTX under Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1, its stable and looks good but I have a big issue with frame stuttering. I have exported my edited fsx.cfg file from my XP system (which BTW runs FSX/FTX perfectly) onto the new Vista64 system, but I still get very troublesome stuttering effects. Can anyone point me in the right direction on fixing these stutters?

I bet your texture bandwidth multi is too high. Try it with value 40.

Hope that was it...  Well, if not, delete the cfg and let FSX build a new one. Set up everything new and apply only the trees per cell tweak if necessary.

Btw - update DirectX as well. And if you have a nVidia GPU - the 174.70 beta driver works very well.

Guest Aussieman

SP1 has broken vsync in FSX DX9 on my system too, Vista 64 home premium, E8200, 8800GT 1G. Fortunately the installation of SP1 was relatively pain free via Windows update. I'm looking forward to being able to flying from Redcliffe in FTX  :)

Robby with Vista 64 check your system specs and I think you will find you have DX10 installed. Ii have Vista Home Premium 32 and found DX10 was installed. Your Video card is DX10 compatable as well.

Aye, i'll try 174.53 drivers with a modded inf for 8800 support this evening. And maybe the 169.44...

I am working on a free YRED Redcliffe right now. Just waiting for some more pictures to get it more authentic. It's such a nice area around Brisbane  8).

I tried the 174 series of drivers but had to revert back 169.25. At the moment 174 series drivers are beta.

Cheers

Pat

Guest Aussieman

Try 174.70 Pat. They really work very well for FSX and other games like Crysis.

Will do mate.

Cheers

Pat

Hi I have the same problem, after install sp1 no vsync its very bad just now im changed my system, and installed vista 64 and i get this ***** the rest is ok i also have 28 fps locked 30 so the performance is ok for me but this vsync problem ........ohh by the way when i`ve installed vista 64 i had blank monitor i had to install a different driver to work on both monitors

Glad that it works for you too, guys. I run always in DX9 mode - but good idea, those 174.70 might be worth a try with DX10...

Hypofx, welcome to the OrbX forums. With 174.70 vsync is back. If it doesn't work, load the nVidia FSX profile and force vsync on with that one.

Hypofx, welcome to the OrbX forums. With 174.70 vsync is back. If it doesn't work, load the nVidia FSX profile and force vsync on with that one

Thanks Mango, I will try, but one more queston, what about the nhancer settings? I`ve disabled the fsx profile, duplicated, and used the new one, so with your suggestion what should i set in nhancer?

Listen Mango nhancer is not so important for me if you can give me the details i can set all the settings in the nvidia driver panel, but i thought you can have (xp) better result if i use nhancer, but now im on vista64 so maybe here its a different story, can you help me

Listen Mango nhancer is not so important for me if you can give me the details i can set all the settings in the nvidia driver panel, but i thought you can have (xp) better result if i use nhancer, but now im on vista64 so maybe here its a different story, can you help me

I run FSX at 1920x1200 resolution, so every increased AA attempt is a FPS disaster. Well, like you see in my pics, AA enabled within FSX and application controlled in the CP is quiet o.k. (could be a bit better though). Further i use 16 x AF Quality (not high quality), super sampling and all filters off. It's the best quality/performance compromise on my system.

FSX is of course set to anisotropic filtering.

Thanks Mango, so basicly i set everything in the driver. "...AA enabled within FSX and application controlled in the CP is quiet o.k. " it means that you run fsx with the minimal aa, in nhancer i set 8s 16af

I`ve tried but without success. the new 174.74 driver its not good for me i cant install its says no compatible hardware?? i had to revert the driver for an older version, no vsync, and i have to tell you i see blurries, and the problem is this machine is brand new i had an older with e6400, 8800gt 2gb ram, and you see my screenshots i didnt have  any blur, and now with q6600 on 3.2, 8800gt 4gb ram vista 64 and no luck:(( i dont know whats the problem.

Hi Mango Thanks for your help, i will download the driver.

OO Defrag. I`ve installed the vista sp1 and i wnet to the windows update and installed everything, i dont have directx update, should i download some? i thought i dont need to update.

Well, DirectX updates don't show up with the Windows update. I don't have the smallest idea why not...

However, here's the latest one : https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

It is possible that this version came already with SP1, not sure though. If your DirectX is up to date, the installer will tell.

Archived