FTX EU ENG and SCO Street Lights (P3Dv3)

stufer

Hello

I have noticed a problem with the night lighting in the full-fat regions of ENG and SCO in some areas. I raised one of the issues before in this topic:

But I have also noticed a new issue where there is a ring of lights around the LOD radius of the aircraft and then they disappear for a couple of miles and then start again beyond that range. I have noticed this in the Midlands of England around the towns of Nottingham and Derby. Take a look at this picture - I am directly over the centre of Nottingham and you can clearly see the ring of light textures that are missing. I should be clear here - it is only the textures of the light 'splash' that go missing, the light effects themselves are still there.

2017-1-26_19-50-0-296_zpscpfmlp8a.png

If I move over Nottingham airport (EGBN), you can see that the ring has moved with me:

2017-1-26_19-49-10-293_zpszi2xaiqx.png

Please could someone check to see if you are getting the same? Just start at EGBN and slew around at night over Nottingham and Derby and see if you get this mysterious ring of darkness!

It doesn't happen everywhere in England - I don't get it in London for instance.

In Scotland too, I started at Aberdeen (EGPD) and went South West and could see the light textures appear and disappear. I can also see the default lighting bleeding through near Aberdeen as I referenced in my linked topic.

I tried disabling all my other addons and just had FTX active but the problem was still there. If I disabled ENG and SCO and just use global/OLC/Vector then the problem is not evident.

Anyway, if someone could check to see if you are getting the same, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Stu.

Confirmed here (Nottingham & Derby - P3D 3.4.9) - though I'm sorry to say I can't help much. I seem to remember objects could be set to appear/disappear at different LOD or complexity settings - maybe these street lights are set to appear for "near" and "distant", but somehow don't have the "medium" flag set <??>. Only a wild guess ... I'm hoping a developer will pick this one up!

Adam.

8 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Confirmed here (Nottingham & Derby - P3D 3.4.9) - though I'm sorry to say I can't help much. I seem to remember objects could be set to appear/disappear at different LOD or complexity settings - maybe these street lights are set to appear for "near" and "distant", but somehow don't have the "medium" flag set <??>. Only a wild guess ... I'm hoping a developer will pick this one up!

Adam.

Hi Adam

Thanks a lot for checking that out. I thought maybe I had corrupted my install somehow so I'm relieved that this seems like a bug in the light textures with these two regions. I haven't noticed it anywhere else yet. Germany seems fine as does OLC EU in the places I flown to.

Yes, hopefully a dev will be able to provide a fix for this at some point. :)

Many thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Cheers

Stu.

Very strange indeed. I don't have that into FSX:

Nottingham_night_FSX.jpg

I'll try to replicate it on my side with P3D.

12 hours ago, stufer said:

Hi Adam

Thanks a lot for checking that out. I thought maybe I had corrupted my install somehow so I'm relieved that this seems like a bug in the light textures with these two regions. I haven't noticed it anywhere else yet. Germany seems fine as does OLC EU in the places I flown to.

Yes, hopefully a dev will be able to provide a fix for this at some point. :)

Many thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Cheers

Stu.

That reminds me your request about lights too weak over Alderney. I'm wondering whether it's the same issue from you as they are fine on my side.

58 minutes ago, Richard Bui said:

Very strange indeed. I don't have that into FSX:

Nottingham_night_FSX.jpg

I'll try to replicate it on my side with P3D.

That reminds me your request about lights too weak over Alderney. I'm wondering whether it's the same issue from you as they are fine on my side.

Hi Richard, thanks for getting back to me. Ah ha - so FSX is working correctly - seems it must be something related to P3D then. At least we are narrowing it down.

The Alderney lights thing was just related to my use of the Earth Simulations scenery but actually with the lastest FTX ENG patches, I can see FTX lights above the ES photo scenery which is great. Looks fantastic there now.

This current issue only appears to happen around Nottingham and Derby in England and South West of Aberdeen in Scotland. It may occur elsewhere too but I haven't noticed it anywhere else yet.

In Scotland I also get that strange bleed through of default lights that I linked to on my first post. Richard Lincoln also could see it so I think it might be another issue with P3D again. That problem appears to be quite widespread accross Scotland. It may be that they are related issues?

Please let me know if you can see this in P3D too.

Many thanks for taking a look.

Cheers

Stu

Hi again. Bad news for you, my P3D night rendering over Nottingham looks fine too:

Nottingham_Night_P3D.jpg

So, the culprit is not the night lighting. It may be worth investigating about tweaks, settings, weather addon, remaining photoreal layer or any other addon you are using. Mine has only AS2016 and Rex Soft Cloud + P3D Tweak 2.4 from Adam

Richard - I'm not too sure that it *is* fine :lol: ... if you look closely at your pic ... at the road(s) that go approximately 270 and 250 from the centre spot, you'll see the street lights seem to disappear then re-appear further on. Same deal if you follow imaginary radials at around 225 and 210 ... if you "squint" you might be able to see that the thresholds for appearing/disappearing are circular - with the a/c as their centre.

Adam.

G'ah yes that does look like it's working alright. But I wonder, perhaps you have a higher LOD radius in use than I use. Mine is set at 4.5 miles. If you slew around there, you can't see some lights appearing and disappearing?

If not then it looks like I may have done something to my install and may have to try downloading and reinstalling ENG again.

Cheers

Stu

Ah looks like we posted at the same time Adam! Yes I am thinking that Richard is using a higher LOD radius and so it is not so obvious but in fact it looks like the same problem - just further out from the plane!

EDIT: In fact I am certain the same problem is evident. The M1 motorway should be visible on that picture but it is definately missing - in that dark area on the left of the picture. I also now think that it is the same in the FSX shot. In other words, the problem appears to be evident in both P3D and FSX.

6 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Richard - I'm not too sure that it *is* fine :lol: ... if you look closely at your pic ... at the road(s) that go approximately 270 and 250 from the centre spot, you'll see the street lights seem to disappear then re-appear further on. Same deal if you follow imaginary radials at around 225 and 210 ... if you "squint" you might be able to see that the thresholds for appearing/disappearing are circular - with the a/c as their centre.

Adam.

That normal because urban lights are not continuous. When you are away from the down town, they disappear. Reversing that , the big blackout in the west center of Birmingham is an anomaly. On mine, I don't have that blackout

6 minutes ago, stufer said:

Ah looks like we posted at the same time Adam! Yes I am thinking that Richard is using a higher LOD radius and so it is not so obvious but in fact it looks like the same problem - just further out from the plane!

I'm using the stock lod radius value

17 minutes ago, Richard Bui said:

That normal because urban lights are not continuous. When you are away from the down town, they disappear. Reversing that , the big blackout in the west center of Birmingham is an anomaly. On mine, I don't have that blackout

But in your picture it looks like there are lights missing on the left side. Please could you slew to that position - about midway between Nottingham and Derby and take a screenshot of what you see from the top-down view.

Cheers

Stu

17 minutes ago, Richard Bui said:

But in your picture it looks like there are lights missing on the left side. Please could you slew to that position - about midway between Nottingham and Derby and take a screenshot of what you see from the top-down view.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Richard

To illustrate what I mean take a look at this picture. I have positioned myself midway between Nottingham and Derby and you can see that there are lights there that are certainly missing from your screenshots in both FSX and P3D.

2017-1-31_18-45-34-440_zpspgegykaq.png

I think this has to be a general problem in the light textures for these areas.

Cheers

Stu

OK, I just made some shots
Map.jpg

Here's the night captures:

Night_01.jpg

Night_02.jpg

Night_04.jpg

Night_05.jpg

Just keep in mind that slewing and using satellite view are not a right way to enjoy a flight simulation. The most important is what you can see into your cockpit:

IN01.jpg

IN02.jpg

Hi Richard

Many thanks for that. Yes you can clearly see in your pictures that they are not working correctly and you have the same problem of a ring of darkness.

Indeed, slewing is not my favourite pastime! But I noticed the errors in normal flight and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was flying along and kept on seeing chunks of lights disappearing in front of me and then reappearing as I got closer - very distracting! It was only by going into top-down view that it became clear what the problem was.

Will it be possible that this can be fixed so it works the same here as in other areas?

Cheers

Stu

You have to increase your lod radius. It seems yours is too short. I don't see lights disappearing with the cockpit view. Also have a look at LM the tuning guide concerning photoreal as these night lights are built like a photo

Hi Richard

Unfortunately I can't increase my LOD any further as I will get OOMs. I did try it at LOD 6.5 and the effect is still the same - just slightly pushed out from where I see it now.

I guess I'll just live with it then. No worries, thanks for taking a look.

Cheers

Stu

8 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Thanks Adam, I'll check that out.

2 hours ago, Richard Bui said:

@stufer: By the way, what is your graphic card ? that point is important with P3D

Hi Richard, my graphics card is an Asus 980 Strix I think. It does pretty well. I could probably increase the LOD around Nottingham - it's just if I fly to London then it will crash before I get there! There's always a fine balance to strike isn't there! :)

Cheers

Stu

Archived