FTX aurora files

Jon Clarke

In my P3D Effects folder I have numerous FTX_aurora files both in the effects and texture folder. These were obviously inserted into the folders with a FTX scenery. However I am yet to see any example of the Northern lights being displayed. Yesterday I had a brief experience of them after installing Richard Bui#s freeware ENJA. Two things I ask. Is the aurora effect only visible if you fly around ENJA or does the effect permeate throughout the sim especially in FTX Norway? Secondly, with all the FTX aurora files in my sim, when, and where are these files activated or does P3D not read them?

I know from working in Iceland that the northern lights can be visible from October thru December.

Hi,
This kind of events is currently available only over ENJA. I set 3 with different colors in winter (dec -feb).
They have a radius detection so they spawn as soon as you are close enough the location (less than 50/100 km). That happens once. You have to go out/back the radius or reload the scenery to play again. The event lasts from 30 sec to several minutes. That should correspond to what you in real life. Long auroras of hours are rare and certainly more visible from space or stratosphere (from a X-31 or ISS). Nevertheless, as you have your own experience, I'm interested to know more :)

Thanks Richard and also a big thank you for the free scenery. It is very impressive,

My own experience of the NLights is only in Iceland and in early November. That doesn't mean they were not appearing before that it just means that if you have any sense, you don't go outside in Iceland in November !!! The set I saw lasted for many minutes but as you say certainly not for hours, but they can appear and disappear in slightly different parts of the sky. I mean that one display can last one minute and disappear followed by another on in a slightly different place soon afterwards. A bit like a firework display. No one firework lasts very long but if you set another one off soon after the first one you then start to have a " display". Hope you understand.

Are you able to answer my question about the Northern Lights in P3D and the Effects folder containing several FTX files called aurora, both fx and bmp files?

14 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Thanks Richard and also a big thank you for the free scenery. It is very impressive,

My own experience of the NLights is only in Iceland and in early November. That doesn't mean they were not appearing before that it just means that if you have any sense, you don't go outside in Iceland in November !!! The set I saw lasted for many minutes but as you say certainly not for hours, but they can appear and disappear in slightly different parts of the sky. I mean that one display can last one minute and disappear followed by another on in a slightly different place soon afterwards. A bit like a firework display. No one firework lasts very long but if you set another one off soon after the first one you then start to have a " display". Hope you understand.

Are you able to answer my question about the Northern Lights in P3D and the Effects folder containing several FTX files called aurora, both fx and bmp files?

P3D keeps 3 Aurora effects from FSX and itself from FS9. They are unfortunately not used. In the first version of ENJA for P3D, I invoked them because P3D previously gave a very bad rendering. Then I changed for mine (nammed FTX) since v3.3

Archived