ORBX DLC and MakeRwys compatibility

This past weekend I installed Meigs Field and Twentynine Palms into my FSX-SE installation.  Both airport works fine, FSX-SE finds them, accurately displayed, etc... No problems in that sense.

I use SIMstarter and it uses Pete Dowson's MakeRwys to extract runway and parking information so that you can select your aircraft location before opening FSX-SE.

Oddly, while Meigs field is visible in FSX-SE, it isn't seen at all by MakeRwys.  I have looked though the DLC folder with ADE and can't seem to find a runway file.  

That's not the case with the Twentynine Palms DLC, so I'm wondering if Orbx is using a different file structure, or if the airport information just isn't in the DLC folder.

I have not tried Friday Harbor to see if the same issue occurs, but it has aroused my curiosity.

Thanks,

Ernie

Transaction: 581354702494357317

FTX Global: FSS0233999

I use SimStarter, too, and I recall there are more of such cases. One notable case I found is in Pago Pago (but probably elsewhere, too). This seems to come from an internal non-standard naming of those airports (i.e. not strictly ICAO) which MakeRwys doesn't understand, but I am no expert to judge this.

At that point I gave up on this issue, however, if it would be of help and ORBX would be inquiring into this, I could look up my old mail of correspondence with the author of SimStarter which airports (say airstrtrips) were concerned.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I could look up my old mail of correspondence with the author of SimStarter which airports (say airstrtrips) were concerned.

Thanks Michael,

I wasn't aware that there were other airports that MakeRwy was unable to extract airport information from.  If you do come upon a list then I would be happy to see it.  Please don't feel the need to rush.  I'm working on a couple of other things at the time.

Ernie

I wonder if it is because Meigs Field is not a stock airport in FSX.

In any case, you seem to be on the Orbx support forum asking about Sim Starter,

Dovetail DLC, MakeRunways and FSX-SE, all of which have their own forums that you could post

the question in?

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

I wonder if it is because Meigs Field is not a stock airport in FSX.

In any case, you seem to be on the Orbx support forum asking about Sim Starter,

Dovetail DLC, MakeRunways and FSX-SE, all of which have their own forums that you could post

the question in?

Hi Nick,

The mention of the other programs was an attempt to put my question regarding Meigs Field into context.  It may have taken me several paragraphs to get there, but the question is related to an Orbx product.

Ernie

1 hour ago, Alex Goff said:

If you're in search of the APX file for Meigs Field, the filename is Orbx_KCGX_APX.bgl, located in ...\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KCGX\Scenery

Thanks Alex,

It's a FSX-SE DLC so the path you mentioned doesn't exist.  However, I did find it in FSX\DLC\379548\KCGX.  Unfortunately, ADE returns "file does not contain an airport", which has been the case with the other files I tested.

It works fine in FSX-SE so I guess it will remain a mystery.

Ernie

Archived