Cliffs of KLAS

Mach 2

Since installing openLC NA there are now huge cliffs on the edges of McCarren International (KLAS). I know that FSX airports are flat and nothing can be done about it, so the terrain needs to match up. The elevation of openLC NA is probably correct. But maybe some adjustments around the airport are in order for realism. (I live here and there are NO CLIFFS around McCarren, The Airport must be on a east/west slope. Too bad the airport can't be tilted to match).

This is 25R on the east side WITH Airport Elevation Correction...

Cliffs of KLAS (WITH AEC) - East end.jpg

This is 25R on the west side WITH Airport Elevation Correction...

Cliffs of KLAS (WITH AEC) - West end.jpg

If I turn the AEC off, this cliff at the west end flattens out and looks normal, however the east end then suffers with a MOUNTAIN OF A CLIFF!

BTW, I have FS Global 2010 installed along with ORBX Global, Vector and openLC NA

I live here too, and don't have the cliffs problem in my sim.  My first two questions would be:

1.  Is that the default KLAS airport (which would include any upgrades made to it as part of the NA SCA product)?  Or...

2.  Do you have a third-party KLAS installed in your simulator?

You may want to do a forum search using the term "KLAS" (no quotation marks).  There are already several forum posts about fixing various "sunken KLAS" airports.  The fix depends on the products you are using and whether you have a third-party KLAS airport installed.  I would start with this thread...  

...because it seems you may have a misunderstanding about how different products work in FSX.  In your first post you said, "Since installing openLC NA there are now huge cliffs on the edges of McCarren International (KLAS)."  OpenLC...a landclass product...has nothing to do with elevations.  Installing a landclass product should not cause a "cliff" problem at any airport. If your KLAS looked OK using all the other ORBX products you listed BEFORE you installed OpenLC, and AFTER you installed OpenLC it has cliffs now, something ELSE has changed in your flight sim installation. 

I can't recall which update it was but one of the requirements was to go into the FSX Scenery Libraries and disable two entries.  They were Las Vegas and Edwards_AFB.  I do not know if this will cure your elevation issue but its a very easy thing to try.  If it does nothing you can always turn em' back on.

Thank you FalconAF and spud,

I'll look into your suggestions

Falcon, hello neighbor, I'm just using the DEFAULT FSX airport. I had NA SCA installed but removed it to put on my other computer. Do you also have FS Global 2010 installed? If not, this is probably what my issue is from. The terrain around the airport slopes up from east to west (airport is elevated on the east, buried on the west).

spud, could you elaborate on what you suggested. If I disabled the airport, would it not even show up in FSX? Disable it where? In the FSX UI or the scenery.cfg?

BTW, Nellis AFB is fine.

Nobody else with my installed products has same issue?

EDIT:

I just saw Holger Sandmann's fix from your links and will try it out. THANKS. I don't have FSDreamTeam KLAS but may be it might help.

The "2 files fix" Spud is referring to is in Holger's post in the linked thread I told you to go to.  Click on the link in Holger's post down in the thread to read about it.

I don't have FS Global 2010.  I use a different product.  But that shouldn't be the issue (unless someone was using a much higher density terrain mesh product, like the FS Global Ultimate terrain mesh).  I also don't use Global Vector, but if you do, have you made sure you ran the AEC of it properly for KLAS?  Including closing it properly after the AEC tool runs?

FalconAF,

I don't have a KLAS add on airport (This is FSX default) so I'm not sure how to apply his patch (Maybe just place it in the add On Scenery folder?). However "The patch file will replace the KLAS flatten polygon with a version that smooths the edges of the "plateau" with the help of extensive sloped flattens."" sounds like what I need. For the AEC, my screen shots above are WITH AEC for KLAS. The AEC seems to lower the whole airport to the east/west centerline level with the surrounding terrain.  

For KLAS with NO AEC, this is what I get...

KLAS NO AEC 01.jpg

KLAS NO AEC 02.jpg

The west side of the airport now is flat with a cliff all the way around the 3 other sides :( As I said this only cropped up after installing openLC NA (just like the tree issue at many airports).

Read this in the FS GLOBAL 2010 manual...

An airport in FS has to be flat. Bottom line. As per definition of Microsoft. Therefore all objects,

including runway ends are at the same defined altitude.

As we all know, airports are mostly not flat. Well, maybe Sylt …

In most cases this can be ignored, because differences are small. But not always. There

are differences in the altitude of runway ends, which are considerable. See Lukla for

example. This runway has a length of 527m with an inclination of 12°! If you are interested

to read more, may I draw your attention to the book „Ein Schrank fliegt nach Lukla“ by Urs

Wildermuth. (Contakt: www.danur.com). Or see Cairo, the difference in altitude of runway

ends is 191ft at this airport! When you approach CAT III in FS you may crash even before

you hear “Minimums”. This is a problem in concept and can not be changed by us. We

have to accept that the airport and its polygon cut into the correct terrain. One runway end

may stick in terrain and the other ends in a jump. Depending on actual differences in

altitude this may be more or less prominently visible. The only possibility to optically ease

that would be to create a micromesh, which needs to be placed in

X:\FSGX2010\LocalMeshes\Scenery

So sounds like what is needed is a micromesh to get the correct FS GLOBAL 2010 terrain elevations to line up with the default FSX airport which doesn't seem to be a ORBX problem. So now I have to learn how to create a micromesh. :rolleyes:  

It's fixed :) :) :)

KLAS with FIX NO AEC 01.jpg

Because Holger's  fix is for the FSDreamTeam KLAS, I wasn't quite sure if I should try it with the default FSX KLAS airport and didn't want to muck it up. All I had to do was drop it into the FSX\Add On Scenery\Scenery folder and nothing else!!!  BTW, AEC is OFF now for KLAS.

THANK YOU FalconAF and spud for pointing me to Holger's fix. This can be marked as SOLVED!!!    

Archived