FTX Norway is Blurred, FTX Global isn't

fabristunt

I've recently moved from FSX to P3D V3. When reinstalling all my Orbx stuff, I've encountered some problems.

This is how my world looks in parts covered by FTX Global + Vectors + OpenLC EU.

n_zps1t0dgwbm.jpg

merda%205_zpsxifqgxhm.jpg

There's not much to say, other than it's amazing and I love it!

However, when flying in Norway using the ORBX Region, the situation, alas, is different...

merda%204_zps6m0oitdv.jpg

merda_zpshy68xz64.jpg

merda%203_zpscabr15jk.jpg

merda2_zpsvjclxplg.jpg

In this last screenshot you can see the on-screen-display of MSI Afterburner. You can see that my settings are definitely not too high!

That's appaling. How can it be like that? I looks nothing like the images on the product page!

To be fair, the situation in FSX wasn't much better, but I blamed that on FSX itself. Something is definitely not right here.

How can I fix that? Here are my settings.

set2_zpsnfpo0m2o.jpg

set1_zps4hflritz.jpg

set3_zpspmypzfvx.jpg

set4_zps1uslc78o.jpg

set5_zps9g5otcwl.jpg

Here are my pc specs:

Intel Ci7 Box Processore CPU 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A, CPU Cooler Silent Fan
MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Scheda Madre, Nero
Avexir Core Series - Black Heatsink - Led Blu - 8Gb / 4Gb x2 / 9-9-9-24 / 1600 Mhz
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4GB GDDR5 TWINFRZR V
COOLERMASTER ALIM. 600W G600 80 PLUS BRONZE
HD 1: Samsung MZ-7TE250BW SSD 840 EVO, 250GB, 2.5" SATA III, Nero/Antracite
HD 2: Western Digital WD20EZRX Caviar Green HardDisk 2TB

Before anyone says it, yes, I have done all the usual things, including starting P3D as admin, adding an exception to the antivirus so that it never scans the simulator's folders, turning it off when installing and the like.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Fabrizio Barbierato

A few things to try:

1) Anisotropic filtering: try 16x

2) Just as a test, try locking your frame rate target to (say) 30fps. If you have nVidia Inspector, set that to 30 fps as well.

3) Run the migrator troublshooter - see if there are any errors.

4) If there are errors, run FTX Central/Force Migration.

Post a screenshot (or two) with co-ordinates showing - I'll see how it looks on my system!

Adam.

Dear Thorsten and Adam, I tried your suggestions.

Setting the mesh slider at 5m did nothing, just as 16x Anisotropic filtering.

The migration trobleshooter returned no errors, so I did not force a new migration.

Locking he FPS at 30 using the internal limiter seems to have somewhat mitigated the problem. The situation is now better, but not yet as good as I think it should be.

My test flight, Svolvaer to Leknes, ENSH to ENLK with the default Piper Cub

I took off from Svolvaer and flew around the area. The textures are better than before, but not as good as they should.

svolv1_zps9y6oonod.jpg

The ridge under me is ok I guess, but the terrain in front of me definitely isn't.

ridge1_zpsh3tnqzrp.jpg

Getting closer loads the mountain, now it looks better.

ridge2_zpsgkdutpwl.jpg

Reaching Leknes the town is kinda blurred, as is the mountain ahed.

lek1_zpsaqoosbdt.jpg

I have the feeling that the Norway region runs at a different (=smaller) LOD Radius than the rest of the world, or something like that.

I'm looking forward to see how it looks in your sim, Adam. Thanks for your time!

At 1024px, it's hard to see the detail - especially if Photobucket over-compresses the JPG files. For instance, the SLEW info in #4 is illegible.

I've rezised my shots to 1024px so we're comparing like with like, but they're not that good either (even though they're not jpeg compressed much). Ideally, one more test at 1280px or 1350px might help.

norway_01_1024.jpg

norway_02_1024.jpg

norway_03_1024.jpg

norway_04_1024.jpg

However - I think I see what you mean. I have all detail pretty well maxed out (I like slide shows!!!) and there are certainly many areas around Norway that give the impression that the LOD is set very small (mine is maxed out). Yet other areas seem more detailed.

My pics may look a little better here, but when in P3D (and trying to match the angles) I was seeing more or less what your pics show (I think!!).

My settings:

FXAA off

MSAA 4x Samples

Anisotropic 16x

Texture resolution 4096

4x SGSS set in nVidia Inspector

Frame rate locked at 23fps in nVidia Inspector and P3D target frame rate set to the same.

Mesh 2m

Scenery texture resolution 15cm

Scenery complexity max

Autogen both at one notch down from max

Water detail high

Note: these are my *screenshot* settings (ie. not optimised for heavy scenery or complex aircraft), so frame rates are only in the 20s.

Adam.

EDIT: I've just gone back into the sim - and I'm wondering whether part of the problem is that P3D always has trouble mapping textures to excessively high vertical surfaces - and Norway is full of them!!

Here's a 1350px pic. No editing:

norway_05_1350.jpg

It's still an amazing ORBX region, IMHO!

Hi Adam. Thanks for your help. Your screenshots aren't that different from what I see in my sim. I was hoping for something more, but now it's not bad after all. Locking the FPS did the trick. There's still something with the many vertical surfaces, but that might be P3D itself as you say. 

FTX Norway is really enjoyable, I love flying VFR around it :)

Regards,

Fabrizio

EDIT: I've just gone back into the sim - and I'm wondering whether part of the problem is that P3D always has trouble mapping textures to excessively high vertical surfaces - and Norway is full of them!!

Adam, P3D doesn't have trouble rendering textures at high elevations.  I've flown a couple of routes over the alps and the textures were spot on, no blurriness.  Now, it could be that since Norway is full of mountains, the complexity of the mesh through that region may be taxing the system a bit.

Archived