Strange textures in Pago Pago pack

The Angry Arab

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I recently updated Pago Pago in FTX Central. It seems that since then the area around Faleolo airport has developed some huge bright green lettering in several places on the ground seeming to read SPRING, semi covered by vegetation, but only for the months of June, July and August. Also, the vegetation for the whole island has suddenly become very brown and dry looking for that period.

As I live some 20 miles from Faleolo I can attest that this interesting feature does not exist and the dark tropical green never fades over the whole island despite this being the drier season.

Cannot include a shot of this as the file is too big.

American Samoa is working just fine now they have deleted the large vessels moored in the lagoon adjacent to the airport which in fact is so shallow you can wade across at low tide and is called Pala lagoon which means muddy!

Hello,

The writing on the textures is left over from the unfinished development of FSX.

It is an indication that you are seeing default textures and that FTX Global needs to be reinstalled.

Here is how to post a screen shot.

1 hour ago, William A Anderson said:

American Samoa is working just fine now they have deleted the large vessels moored in the lagoon adjacent to the airport which in fact is so shallow you can wade across at low tide and is called Pala lagoon which means muddy!

Hi William, nice to see a local here, quite rare!

Those particular ships in the lagoon next to NSTU are incorrectly placed by the default FSX shipping file, we do not add them!,

To remove them would mean altering a global stock FSX file (which would probably have unintended consequences for other sceneries), from memory they appear at about 5% level of 'Ships and ferries' slider

What I do is manually remove all of them by going to FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery and renaming trafficBoats.bgl > to > trafficBoats.OFF

Cheers, Tim

Hi,

Thanks Nick and Tim for your kind guidance.

FTX Global is indeed installed and Pago Pago over this in scenery priorities. I have cured the lack of vegetation issue as I just realized I had turned Autogen down quite a bit to cater for that wonderful but demanding beast the PMDG Boeing 747. Although now further disguised under more realistic vegetation the green wording still appears.

Since the latest update the shipping beside Pago airport does not now show even on max autogen so I guess this was allowed for. American Samoa is near perfect.

I could not upload the picture as it is 7.9mb and only a max of 4mb is allowed. Anyway it is not a major issue with me and seemingly will disappear when we reach September! I just mention it as an interesting quirk and wonder if others are seeing this.  Living locally and having been very much involved with the development of Faleolo and the other Samoan airports over the years I gain immense pleasure in flying this scenery.

Further to the above, I did not initially reload FTX Global as suggested since FTX Central was showing it correctly installed and up to date. Belatedly I realized that I had recently done a repair on the FSX original installation subsequent to the installation of FTX Global so of course it was overriding and creating the error. A reinstallation removed my letters and, as usual, the problems were self-created, my apologies!!

Having lived in Samoa the majority of the last 45 years working as a pilot and civil engineer I do have a rather unique knowledge of the whole island group and you are most welcome to request any clarifications for subsequent updates if desired.

Best regards

Good result William,

Yes an FSX repair will return all default files to stock, which is about 99% of FTX Global basepack!

If you ever have any pictures of the Samoan/American Samoan airports and surrounding area I (and my fellow developer Ken) would love to see them, and I'm sure others here on the forum would also, feel free to make a topic in the General discussion area, I find Imgur an excellent method to share photos, follow Nick's link above

And if you have any photos of other Pacific airports, PM me!, theres a few places I'm after :)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response I will see what I can dig out as regards airport photos although I do not really have much at this stage. I do find the existing airports in NSTU quite acceptably accurate as is.

Unfortunately, they are now doing a completely new terminal building at Faleolo which makes the existing one out dated. I have absolutely no details of this one as it is the first major development at Faleolo that I have not been responsible for. At this stage it is only half built and the current status can be seen on Google Earth.

Also the area of bare earth to the East of the terminal shown in NSTU was infact preparation works for a solar power farm and is now covered by solar panels.

Time waits for no man!

Archived