Northern CA FPS around SFO Bay area

Bobsk8

I have bought several FTX areas like SE Alaska, Pacific Fjords, Pacific Northwest , and the only one I have a problem with is North California in the SFO Bay area. When I take off from KHWD heading North , for example, the FPS dip way down, sometimes as low as 5Fps momentarily ,and I get severe stuttering. Same if I take off  from KRHV.  This is the only are I fly in P3D and I fly in North America, Canada, and Europe, where I have this issue.  If I stay around KSTS or KACV  or North of those airports, I get great FPS of around 40+ with no stutters at all, which is normal for me. Seems like flying any where near the Bay area brings on terrible performance  I have all the things disabled in the configurator that are supposed to affect FPS.  "FTX_NCA_objects_CA_Oakland.BGL.
FTX_NCA_objects_SRA_marinas_ships_docks_PLC.BGL.
FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC.BGL.
FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_animated.BGL
FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_static1.BGL.
FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_static2.BGL."

If I disable No CA in the scenery Library of P3D version 3, I instantly get good FPS and no stutters at all around KHWD .  Any ideas?  This scenery area is the only place I have had this happen, and I am flying a GA A2A aircraft also which is relatively easy on performance. .

SFO in NCA is the equivalent of KLAX in NCA. A very large urban area of the city and also additional large urban areas nearby. It is also heavy populated with airports. Do have your traffic ai running? If you do then just have it set to about 1-2% and no GA and see if that helps. Other settings you may need to lower to below what is your norm for testing purposes and depending on your system specs.

With 5fps there might be something ill and it's worth investigating it. To give you a number: I have NCA plus a few addon airports in the region plus FB KSFO installed. Plus I use UT2 with moderate settings eating ~2fps. I fly quite often in the Bay Area, it's kind of a testing bed for me as I know it's fps hungry.

This way I get slightly >20 fps on my medioce system at the rwy at KSFO, dipping to but not less than 15 fps when approaching the city of San Francisco with cranes and marinas and stuff. This is with all options in the NCA configurator enabled and in a C172 or C182 with no panel on display though (hardware panel driven networked). But, yes, this is indeed much less than in a typical ORBX region where I can in the most areas hold 30 fps which my monitor is set to.

Kind regards. Michael

6 hours ago, pmb said:

With 5fps there might be something ill and it's worth investigating it. To give you a number: I have NCA plus a few addon airports in the region plus FB KSFO installed. Plus I use UT2 with moderate settings eating ~2fps. I fly quite often in the Bay Area, it's kind of a testing bed for me as I know it's fps hungry.

This way I get slightly >20 fps on my medioce system at the rwy at KSFO, dipping to but not less than 15 fps when approaching the city of San Francisco with cranes and marinas and stuff. This is with all options in the NCA configurator enabled and in a C172 or C182 with no panel on display though (hardware panel driven networked). But, yes, this is indeed much less than in a typical ORBX region where I can in the most areas hold 30 fps which my monitor is set to.

Kind regards. Michael

The only place I get this very strange behavior of P3D is over the SFO Bay area. This morning I turned off all AI traffic, took off the KHWD and did a touch and go and seemed FPS was around 30.  Then I loaded a flightplan  to KLLR which took me after takeoff towards Sausalito. As I was climbing thought 2000 feet, the jerky behavior started, extreme pauses and stutters, FPS dropping into the single digits at times. After about 10 minutes, I aborted the flight. Started another flight from KOTH, to KSLE, but all settings back to normal as far as AI traffic, and all my add ons like AS16 and Pilot2 atc running, and I am getting a smooth 60-65 FPS. I think these is something wrong with the Northern CA install around the Bay area, but I am afraid to try and uninstall and reinstall that scenery, because it seems that it is not the easiest thing to safely do, from what I have been reading. I just skip flying in the SFO area, because everything else works well.  

I found the problem, and it wasn't the Northern CA scenery. I have been trying out an ATC Demo program the last couple of days, and on a flight this morning I was approaching a small airport, KSLE, and the FPS started slowing way down again.. I also noticed that the display on the ATC program was jerky, so I went into the Windows Task manager and saw that they ATC program was using over 40% of the processor. Didn't leave much left for P3D and AS16.  I just restarted the flight using my normal ATC program, PATC, and flying out of KHWD I got a solid 30 FPS.   :)

Archived