Vector 1.4 - Massive VAS footprint

fuzz1

I'm getting frequent OOM's in FSX since upgrading to 1.4 on identical flights that were previously trouble-free.   I thought this might also perhaps be related to my recent NA OLC purchase but I don't believe so any longer.  

Loading up default Cessna at CYGK with low res REX textures and good weather I'm seeing a whopping 2.85Gb spent as soon as the flight loads up.  Deactivating Vector completely results in a reduction to 1.55Gb.   Is it even possible that Vector alone would use up 1.3GB in the same situation?   Doesn't seem right.    Can anyone else confirm similar values?

In its present state Vector is no longer useable in my sim unless activated in very sparsely populated areas.    CYGK (Kingston, Ontario) is not an overly complex scenery area.

Would appreciate any advice and assistance.    I'm completely familiar with how to reduce VAS usage with sliders, LOD radius, weather, aircraft complexity and such;  no such compromises were necessary prior to v1.4.

Thanks for responding rsvette, will definitely check out Rob's settings, but I'm suggesting here that as these reduced vector settings were not necessary with v1.35, I'm wondering if something went wrong. Either with the development of the 1.4 update, or perhaps even my installations/migration.   Hard to believe that 1.3Gb worth of VAS can represent the difference between using Vector or deactivating it....for a comparatively benign area that surrounds CYGK.   It wouldn't surprise me either if this is an FSX-prone issue vs. P3D, according to similar reports.

2 hours ago, fuzz1 said:

I'm getting frequent OOM's in FSX since upgrading to 1.4 on identical flights that were previously trouble-free.   I thought this might also perhaps be related to my recent NA OLC purchase but I don't believe so any longer.  

Loading up default Cessna at CYGK with low res REX textures and good weather I'm seeing a whopping 2.85Gb spent as soon as the flight loads up.  Deactivating Vector completely results in a reduction to 1.55Gb.   Is it even possible that Vector alone would use up 1.3GB in the same situation?   Doesn't seem right.    Can anyone else confirm similar values?

In its present state Vector is no longer useable in my sim unless activated in very sparsely populated areas.    CYGK (Kingston, Ontario) is not an overly complex scenery area.

Would appreciate any advice and assistance.    I'm completely familiar with how to reduce VAS usage with sliders, LOD radius, weather, aircraft complexity and such;  no such compromises were necessary prior to v1.4.

I am a bit of noob with regards "settings" in the sim - only using p3d - had numerous vas problems and tried less and less settings in vector - came to the conclusion after a few weeks that vector 1.4 was contributing to my ooms. 

After  my simple testing came to conclusion that vector did'nt like my system - so uninstalled it completely - no more ooms.

all the best

Denis B

I made a circuit around CYGK and had no VAS problems. All items are turned on in Vector as well as my Complexity and Autogen sliders are to the right.

1. Used the Carenado Cessna 172.

FSX.jpg

2. This is my VAS after the flight (while taking the screenshot above).

monitor.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

Bvdboomen, thanks for your effort in attempting to recreate my problem and your willingness to help.  There is certainly a disparity in your numbers and mine.

Perhaps it is related to your LOD radius?  I have mine set to 6.5.

Could I also impose on you to repeat this test with the 5 Vector boxes unchecked in your scenery library?   How much VAS is Vector actually using in your case?

The question is not whether a larger LOD value in complex areas is going to eat more VAS.  We all know this to be true and one does so at their own VAS exhaustion peril.

The issue is how much VAS is being used by Vector in certain uncomplicated areas.

CYTZ, for instance, in downtown Toronto, is generally recognized as a very heavy area for VAS.  It is a large metropolitan city with numerous roads and other scenery objects.   Yet in my tests, Vector actually uses LESS vas than in the CYGK test, the latter representing an area far less complex.   This is the disparity I'm questioning and looking for any meaningful answers.

I can offer my test results as follows:

Note that in each test, the default Cessna was spawned on the runway in question with identical conditions.   I panned around the exterior and interior once or twice to load the textures, never moved the aircraft.  My scenery / autogen sliders are all maxed except mesh at 5m and water at 2x high.  The only changes made are to activate/deactivate Vector's 5 boxes in the FSX Scenery Library.  All Vector features are enabled.  FSX was closed and relaunched after each test.

This one is at CYGK with Vector activated. Free Vas is 1,030,476.

CYGKwithV.jpg

Same but with Vector deactivated, free vas is 2,543,584.    Vector is using 1.5GB of VAS in the identical situation in this 'uncomplicated' area!    Something is not right.

CYGKwithoutV.jpg

For comparison, this is CYTZ, a very heavy scenery load, at least 3x the complexity of the CYGK area.   Free VAS is 1,115,716 with Vector active.

CYTZwithV.jpg

Same but with Vector deactivated, free VAS is 2,041,541 meaning Vector is consuming approx. 900mb of VAS.  High, yes, but not totally unexpected given the

complexity of this area.

CYTZwithoutV.jpg

So in my case Vector is using approx. 1/2 the VAS necessary to populate with Vector objects an area that is far more complex, compared to a relatively simple area,

CYGK,  wherein it is using 1.5GB of VAS.

I wish a developer could look into this and perhaps offer some input.   I can see no reason for this enormous VAS use for CYGK, an area that is essentially a small Canadian city by Lake Ontario.  CYGK is an outstanding NA freeware airport creation that I can no longer seem to enjoy unless I turn off Vector.  I've encountered other similar 'VAS mystery' areas where Vector is using far more than one would think it would.   Most of these areas appear to be in N. America outside the regions.  However, CYGK is one of the more glaring examples I've seen.  I have yet to see similar examples in EU.

I really enjoy what Vector can do when used wisely, and for me that generally means avoiding or limiting its use in the larger Urban areas.   The above VAS scenario however has thrown me for a loop as I now can't seem to enjoy Vector in some of the more rural settings.   I cannot even contemplate using anything more than the default C172 at CYGK, let alone any active weather.   Would probably OOM by the time I got off the runway. 

I ran a couple of comparisons at both CYGK and CYTZ. I set my scenery sliders the same as yours and the LOD at 6.5.  My remaining VAS numbers, measured with FSUIPC, are:

No Vector             Vector           Diff.

CYGK                          2415068              1895220       519848

CYTZ                           2383870              1789080       605790

None of which explains the situation with the massive VAS usage at CYGK. Maybe someone will have an idea.....

Doug

Ben and Doug, I'm grateful for your effort in looking at this.   It certainly appears that for some reason my setup uses considerably more Vector VAS than what you're both seeing.  I've since attempted all manner of scenery library organization, activation and deactivation including leaving only the FTX entries active, eliminating all traffic, etc.  But I'm still experiencing an enormous VAS hit at CYGK (and other non-region areas in NA), well in excess of your numbers, with the default C172, good weather, no AI traffic and minimal road/sea traffic.

It seems that whenever that FTX_VECTOR_CVX entry is active in the scenery library it burns my VAS like there's no tomorrow.   While I have no time for this right now, within the next few days I'll attempt a complete reinstall of everything FTX to see if that helps.    I never really paid much attention to VAS prior to migration, NA OLC and Vector 1.4 and 1.45, as I've never had a problem with OOM's previously.   Despite showing 'all green' in the migration troubleshooter and everything seemingly in the right places, something has gone wrong somewhere for me.    Seems strange that this excessive VAS usage only appears in NA for me.   Europe and elsewhere seem normal.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Archived