Major OOM, G3D.dll Errors after Updating Vector and a few other Sceneries

fltsimguy

I have a flight sim nightmare again after updating Orbx sceneries.

Everything was working super prior to this mornings installs.

So this morning I caught up on updates flagged by Central.

1. I updated Vector with v1.35 then V1.40

2. Updated ENG to V sp5

3. Updated 74S Anacortes to V1.05

4. Updated ESSA Stockholn to V1.05

and finally

5. Updated Palm Springs to V1.10

Went flying, randomly picking Maryland. Got an OOM in a few minutes.

Reloaded and tried five different locations, more OOMs running VAS monitor started every flight in yellow quickly crashed.

Went to PNW Bowerman, no issues. VAS was fine here.

Went back to Meigs Chicago, more OOMs.

Event viewer says faulty module g3d.dll errors.

Exasperated!!

Anyone, any clue as to what has or might be happening to take a perfectly good setup and ruin it completely.

Hi,

Just want you not to feel alone, sorry this isn't of any help to you, but the same thing is happening to me as well since the FTX Central update, I can't fly anywhere I used to without OOM's.  Someone has got to figure out someway to get the VAS to dump as the flight progresses, instead of growing and growing.  I have to use the crappy stock aircraft to fly anywhere.  I'm using P3D v2.5.,   I've changed nothing except installing all the updates as they come along, and it's never been worse!  Scenery is beautiful, but can't enjoy it for more than 10 minutes before the OOME.  Hopefully someone has an answer for us!!

Cheers mate.

Same for me. As I replied in another thread here I noticed at least a 300 MB VAS increase since the migration, and doing my test flight CYBL-CYXX, not OOM during the flight but definite VAS increase. (did the migration just a couple days ago when I installed OLC NA part 2)

I usually leave the computer on all day long, most times with P3D running after landing with the plane just parked, so I can continue to the next leg of my endless FP, But just yesterday I had my first P3D OOM.

I did a full ORBX-P3D folders backup before the migration. So I will revert to that version, add OLC NA part2 and test again  just to make sure this is due to the migration. Will compare all P3D loaded modules and annotate VAS usage.  (I believe test is valid since only the Shaders were recreated and nothing else has been changed in my P3D setup or Computer)

Cheers.

So, if I was a betting man I am thinking Vector update started this issue.  Maybe ENG but not the others.

I really would appreciate someone from Orbx knowledgeable with these things to provide some guidance.

I even dropped my LOD to 4.5, pulled back my sliders to mid range and shut off traffic, same issue. Since A+B=C one has to think that something changed with these installs.

What should I do?  Ideas on a strategy to affect change? Its a mess.

I hate the fact that there is no uninstalls so one can check out these things.

My PC specs are generally high end.

INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor 8M Cache 4GHZ Base 4.2GHZ Turbo FC-LGA1151 Retail Box Skylake
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I V2 CPU Cooler System LGA1151/1150/1155/1156/AM2/AM3/FM1/FM2
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2133C15D-16GVR DDR4 2133MHZ 16GB(8GBX2) Me
mory Kit
MSI GeForce GTX 970 TwinFrozr V 1140/1279MHZ 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5 HDMI 2x DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Corsair CS850M CS Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified 850WATT 12V Power Supply Unit
 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower EATX Black Case 3x 5.25EXT 6x 3.5INT 2x USB3.0 No PS
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64Bit DVD SP1 OEM *for NCIX PC Only*
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive
ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer Black
Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
3 x Bitfenix Spectre BFF-BLF-12025R-RP 120mm Red LED Case Fan 1000RPM 43.5CFM 20DBA 3/4 Pin *OEM*

Yes Doug I am aware of that option I guess I needed to be clearer, those updated installed new files and overwrote others. but what I am getting at is an ability to return to the previous state, IE as I mentioned in my first post yesterday my PC was screaming fast, today its a mess, the only thing I did was read my emails, check out news stories and markets on the web and install those updates and went flying.

37 minutes ago, Doogles said:

You don't have to uninstall, just uncheck items in your scenery library to troubleshoot....

Sorry, but I think that wouldn't work for troubleshooting and finding the cause, since it would only deactivate scenery and areas. No way to compare with previous version installations.

Latest libs add modify and replace many files.

Migration also changes many files and spb's,

Vector update also changes files.

I think the Vector update was just the last drop.

26 minutes ago, Doogles said:

Well then sorry boys, I have all the updates and my P3Dv3 build works awesome! I am so impressed with this new FTX Central system! :)

Good to know.  FYI this is the FSX forum and I labelled it as such.  I haven't yet installed this stuff into my P3Dv3 but will be soon.

I still had to go to the store and download several of the new installers to get the updates and also had to pull a couple off the support page so in my view the Central still has a way to go before it's efficient.  I do like not having to change regions though.

UPDATE TO THIS POST - CONSIDER IT RESOLVED IN MY SITUATION!

I spent considerable time working to isolate the issue(s). The Orbx updates had nothing to do with my OOM issue so it's important for me to get that message out there.

A couple of things of note were that this issue for me started when I flew on the eastern seaboard of NA after completing all the installs above; generally I never fly in the eastern part of NA.

Sometime prior to completing the installs above, I upgraded my plane AI library and traffic files.

I use a utility called GA traffic generator v2 to utilize planes in my hanger and convert them to AI GA aircraft, create random flight planes and such, it's a great tool for adding life to your airports. I did not change my preset AI traffic values inside the sim which was set at near 60%.

Along the eastern seaboard of NA there are hundreds maybe thousands of small airports, mostly boring but still have parking spaces.  The GA generator makes 1000s of flightplans for AI aircraft.  And given the settings I am using it places hundreds of AI active planes into the sim within a certain radius of my flight.  This just drains the memory and is what is causing my OOM errors.

I tried dozens of scenarios of Vector, non Vector and Water Settings, other stuff and narrowed it down to my AI being the problem.

So with my traffic files loaded and turning the level down to 20%...(it was up at 60%).  I ran a flight out east on auto pilot to see what happens to the VAS on a long haul flight, its started at 1200MB and at the low end it dropped to 730 MB free so its hanging in there after an hour of flying...and there are tons of AI flying around, 20-30 within 20 NM, so I can still reduce the AI if necessary.

I believe the VAS issue is non existent in P3D.....at least I solved the problem in my FSX install.

There are a much greater frequency of airports and therefore AI flightplans out east as compared to west where I do most of my flying....I only went out east to check out the new openLC and comparing UTX with Vector beaches....so this whole thing caught me off guard.

The good news I learned a heck of a lot about VAS management.

Bryan

Bryan, I’m glad you got it solved and let everyone know what the root cause was. That’s the way we learn.  I’m wondering if some general approaches can be extracted from problems like yours. One might be ‘think addons' --- and in my case even the ones I forget about because I  installed them so long ago.  :)

Archived