[ADDRESSED] A Hard Lesson.

macca22au

I set out to fly from Friday Harbour to the US mainland, over all those lovely islands and sea in UTX.

Instead I was faced with dry land all the way with an unrecognisable landscape except for the high mountains behind Seattle and Vancouver.

Oh dear, I thought, what was the last thing I did - yes I installed FTX, maybe I should uninstall it.  But first I disabled the entries in the scenery library, no good, closed the program, restarted, no good, rebooted still the same.

So started the uninstall, but thought of the desktop switch, canceled the uninstall, turned FTX Off, and voila, islands and sea in all their shimmering delight.

I am sure the book always says turn off FTX when you fly outside Australia, but I missed it.

Is this case, Off FTX when flying elsewhere?

In your case Macca, yes.

We actually tested extensively during the later stages of the beta by flying in the USA, Europe and other parts of the world while FTX Mode was ON. After some tweaks we were confident most people would not have any issues with our modified files active.  However it seems this is not the case for some people and in those instances we strongly recommend turning FTX Mode OFF when flying outside Oz.

There should not be any need to disable the FTX entries in your scenery library for any reason other than to take default-vs-FTX comparison shots.

thanks John:  this would suggest that there is something about my setup that has allowed this to happen.

Turning FTX on and off is no big task, but if I have a peculiar arrangement maybe you could suggest a fix.

By the way I live in South Yarra, wine, port or any other legal stimulant is available if you are interested in tweaking the setup of an enthusiastic amateur.

The option of running the UT validator while FSX was running did not work in my case.  However the On/Off switch is not a problem at all. 

Frankly given the complexity of the myriad of install options with all of the free and payware options I think that resolving the problem isn't worth the effort.  The really smart thing was that you guys installed the Switch, that's the winner.

Archived