A market for a 'retro' airport?

PMDG have just released their DC-6 for X-Plane, but we FSX'ers and you P3D'ers will have access to it sooner or later. The A2A Lockheed Constellation will be going into beta imminently (didn't see THAT one coming!), and as a result of the new technology developed for the aforementioned 'Connie', their long since released 'Captain of the Ship' Stratocruiser will be receiving an update.

That's a lot of new retro iron being made available for 2016, but (to my knowledge), no appropriate airfields from which to fly them from. To me, it looks slightly odd watching videos of vintage birds in vintage liveries sat at the gate of an obviously modern rendition of Heathrow (for example), and I think it would be great to have even just one such base adorned with retro statics, retro vehicles and maybe even some retro styled 'people flow'.

I know a few years ago FTX were toying with the idea of a WW2 airfield, which then got relegated to the back burner for reasons explained at the time (okay, I forgot the reasons!), and I know a 'retro' airliner airport is always going to be a niche wish (complicated by the question as to whether to model a late 40's, 50's or 60's version), but I was wondering if any such thing existed outside of the CalClassics FS9 stable, or even if such an airport was desirable enough for the FTX team to give consideration to such a thing as an 'experience pack'? :)

Agreed Mike, that I'd love to see.  If a good commercial case couldn't be made out for it, perhaps some talented individual might care to 'have a go' at, say 50's Le Bourget as a freeware project to test the waters? Or Croydon??

That has gotten me thinking, I wonder if someone is working on a fully operational Tempelhof as part of Germany North......

I agree with this too, in fact I'd like to be able to set my entire sim world back to the 1950s! And yes, I didn't see the Connie coming at all and I'll be snapping that up as soon as it's available.

I should mention though that the CalClassic stuff mostly works fine in FSX (I've found no alternatives to CalClassic). I have it all installed and it's generally very good. There are one or two problems running it in FSX at certain airports, but the majority of them are great. I've not tried it in P3D yet but may well give it a go soon. I expect there'll be a lot more issues there though as the technology has changed so much.

But if Orbx were to do a set of 'retro' airports I'd snap them up in no time! :)

Well I'm certainly relieved that its not 'just me' then :D, even though our numbers might not swell appreciably! I must admit, I've often looked at those CalClassics airports with envy, but never thought to try them in FSX. Those guys are certainly passionate about the 'glory days' of aviation. I DO use their AI however, and have found it works quite well in FSX, (as long as you reconfigure the traffic files of course! :)), so I might well give a couple of their airports a try!

Like you (Stufer), I'd love to have an entire sim depicting the 1950s! I recently purchased Aerosoft's Sim Starter NG, which really makes configuring FSX (or P3D) for varying situations a doddle, so I'm going to set up a 1950s profile in anticipation of the A2A Constellation release! An FTX retro airport such as Mark's suggestion of Le Bourget would be so atmospheric, or even somewhere like Honolulu for those 'around the world' stopovers!

I'll check out the sim starter thing, thanks Mike. I seem to be doing more ticking and unticking than actual flying!

Definitely try out a few CalClassic airports though. Can't vouch for how they'll interact with Orbx though as I only have UTX/GEX scenery plus CalClassic in FSX and all my Orbx stuff in P3D. I don't see why there'd be a problem though as long as they are above Orbx in the scenery library.

I'd recommend the base California package as that installs some necessary base files that are needed by other airports.There are some library files you need too and those have been converted to FSX format and appear to work very well. Unfortunately the renditions of Gatwick and Heathrow have some terminals missing and I haven't found the culprit for that yet - been using Model Converter X to try to find the right model but no joy yet. The aircraft all park properly though which is the main thing for me.

Also, sign me up for Le Bourget in full Orbx splendour! :D

Archived