Comment on the new lclookup and mesh

FLighT

This is not a question, just a comment.

I finally got what I think is a clean DL of the new libs and completed the conversion to FTXC2.1. First flight, as always, was KFHR and all looked well.

Then I decided to check a few favorite spots around the globe. First up LIRN Naples and Mt Vesuvius. I was puzzled at how flat as a pancake Vesuvius looked. I then remembered, I'm in Europe, I need to engage FSGlobal Ultimate Mesh Europe, and after that the volcano was restored. I only load the Ultimate Mesh for the region I'm flying in to significantly speed up load times (and perhaps, not be loading more info into memory than necessary). But my current thinking with no more region switching needed is to engage all 100+GB of Ultimate and go get a cup of coffee while I wait for a flight to load, no region switching, no mesh switching.

Then I got to thinking; the region packs have customized mesh but I'm not sure at what resolution(s). FSGlobal Ultimate mesh goes all the way down to 1 cm in areas with a lot of sharp elevation changes in a small footprint of ground (steeply sloped mountains and ridge lines or valleys with steep walls) and, as Pilot's say. "no need for 1 cm mesh on a flat desert terrain" so the res will be much lower in those cases (meaning higher numbers cm wise) . As FSX loads the highest res mesh available I wonder if any conflicts have / will be noted in region pack areas and payware AP's.

Again, I'm not looking for an answer just tossing the thought out for what it's worth.

Archived