FSX general areas and VAS and planes.

I have read a lot about VAS and how MS didn't do a good job in handling memory in Seattle, Friday Harbor, and other places.  But I do a lot of test flights and monitor VAS wherever I go.

Are there some other areas on the virtual Earth where VAS is used up as fast as those two listed above?

Also, does P3D really do a better job at VAS handling as I've read?  I'm going to buy a new SSD and P3D the July because I see so many screenshots here and I'm astonished, it's like a much better simulated world.

Thanks.

Jack

The area around Friday Harbor is one of the worst, in particular if you have all/most of the free and payware addons for the area (KFHR, KORS, 74S, 0S9, OZx NA etc.).

That said, I recently made a flight from 0S9 to CYSE with all the payware installed (not FSAddon Vancouver, though). using a LOD radius of 6.5 and the RealAir Turbine Duke. No OOM, although FSUIPC was dinging non-stop toward the end. Finished at about 230 MB free VAS. I'm normally on 4.5 to give the sim a bit more breathing room (+ ~500 MB VAS).

Some say the LAX area is also pretty bad, but I've never had any problems there.

P3D v3 is supposed to have better memory management but it's still possible to encounter OOM errors. The only real solution is to go 64-bit. Perhaps with P3D v4.

Thanks Jimmi.  I do have those add-ons and I always keep my LOD at 4.5.

Is there really any rumors that P3D v4 will be 64 bit?  Then none of my add-ons will work.  I'd rather have P3D v3.2 if that's the case.

I'm using Prepar3d v3.2. The only two places I had OOM errors in the ORBX world are around London (with FTX England and the ORBX airports around London) and Melbourne (with FTX Australia and especially the ORBX airports YMML and YMEN). So I would consider these two areas the worst in the ORBX world (in terms of memory usage, of course!). Earlier in my FSX / P3D v2 days OOM errors were much more common, so P3D v3 really does a much better job here.

There are of course rumors that P3D v4 will be 64-bit, but right now it is nothing more than that: rumors. LM said they were thinking about making a 64-bit version in the future, but never that they actually decided to do so ... and perhaps even then they will offer both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version?

Anyway, since a v4 version will be many moons away, and right now we have most of the ORBX product available for v3, I'd say the best time to switch to P3D would be now.

Archived