Configuration Tool not recognizing dual FSX FSX-SE install

HI,

As it says in the title my FTX Global Vector Configuration Tool is not recognizing that I have both FSX (boxed) and FSX-SE installed.

My initial install of Vector was before the dual installer version was released so I used an FS_Registry tool to set the FSX registry entry to FSX-SE. However since the release of the "smarter" installers I have been updating all my installations to recognize both installs.

I recently re-downloaded Vector 1.3 and 1.35, and re-installed. The installers recognized that both versions were installed and asked me which to install to. I chose FSX-SE. No Joy. So I deleted the FTX_Vector folder under Steam\FSX\ORBX and re-installed again. Again no Joy,

FTX Central 2 recognizes them both no problem and gives me the dialog box asking which version to adjust when I run it.

This is a little annoying as I have to change the FSX path to FSX-SE with the registry tool everytime I need to run Vector Configurator.

What obvious, simple step have I missed?

Thanks

Gavin

I think that to make Vector work successfully in both versions, it has to be fully installed into both versions.

This will install a version of the Configurator into each FTX_VECTOR folder.

When you select the simulator in the opening screen of FTX Central, from then on, it should act on the files

in the chosen simulator's folder.

Thus starting the configurator from FTX Central set to FSX should open the FTX GLOBAL VECTOR Configuration Tool.exe

file in your FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR folder.

Starting FTX Central in FSX Steam Edition mode should open the FTX GLOBAL VECTOR Configuration Tool.exe file in your

steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR folder.

Sorry Nick,

I mis-lead you. I only have Vector installed in FSX-SE. I keep FSX for the "full fat" regions and FSX-SE for the rest of the world.

When I start Vector Configuration Tool (either from within FTX Central or stand alone from the FSX-SE\Orbx\Vector directory) the simulator that comes up in the list when I run Airport Elevation Correction is Microsoft FSX. The drop down is greyed out.I have always assumed that it is going to run against the FSX directory so I have always used the tweak tool to set the registry (and then tried to remember to set it back)

Is there some easy way to test whether it is actually working against FSX or FSX-SE directory?

Gavin

Yes, it may well be working, if there are no Vector files in your FSX disk version folder

it's not going to have much luck there.

If you have opened FTXCentral in FSX Steam Edition mode, that should be where it looks

for the Configurator.

If you have Sylvain's freeware LIDA in your FSX Steam Edition installation, that requires AEC to be disabled.

Try it in each mode and see if there is a difference.

Update,

Something is really broken now

I ran the Configuration Tool from inside FTX Central (after selecting FSX-SE). I went to the Elevations Corrections tab, the Simulator was reporting as FSX (greyed out), ran the Auto Configuration and nothing got added to the AEC Disabled list.

Went to LIDA anyway and (as expected) the elevation was not right.

Exited FSX-SE and used the Registry fixer to set the FSX directory to the FSX-SE install. Ran the Tool directly from the ORBX\FTX_Vector folder and re-ran the Auto Configuration tool. Still had nothing added to the AEC Disabled list, Went back into FSX-SE and LIDA still wrong.

Exited FSX-SE, ran the tool directly and manually added LIDA to the Disabled list. Went back into FSX-SE and LIDA is fine.

I reset the FSX directory to FSX, run the tool from inside Central and LIDA is still in the exception list, re-run the Elevation Corrections auto-Configuration and the Disabled Iist is empty again.

any thoughts?

Thanks

Gavin

The lack of AEC entries probably reflects the lack of Vector files in FSX,

so it looks as if what is meant to be happening is not and that the Vector

Control panel from FTX Central always points to  the registry entry, as you

suggest.

It is no accident that Orbx still doesn't (officially) support a dual FSX installation.

You could wait for some advice from the Vector staff :lol:

What is really frustrating is that the tool was working before I went ahead and re-downloaded the install files and re-installed. 

I had to manually set the FSX path to FSX-SE but at least Auto Configuration was doing its job and detecting airports that needed excluding.

There is one other weird thing happening.

The icon for FTX Global vector Configuration tool has disappeared from the application. When I look at the Vector folder in Explorer the file is there but the icon for it is just a generic file. When I create a shortcut to the tool that has the right icon.

Gavin

Archived