KFHR: Friday Harbor Ferry Dock is Missing

Steve707

Last year, I installed Orbx's beautiful Friday Harbor on FSX:SE, via Dovetail through Steam, rather than from ORBX. I just discovered that SP! was not compatible with the Dovetail version. So, yesterday, I purchased the KFHR version from ORBX and installed v1.00 (after first disabling the Dovetail version in the scenery library, but not uninstalling it.) After installing v1.00, I installed SP1 (v1.10). Still with me?

I took it out for a test flight, and noticed that the ferry dock model in Friday Harbor was not there. In its place was a black patch on the ground and next to it, the default ferry dock, which doesn't look like the real one. Also, it doesn't line up with the auto approach lane or a docked ferry. The thing is, the more accurate dock was present in the Dovetail version.

I'm sure the new dock is supposed to be there, I'm just not sure why my installation isn't showing it. I do have the scenery complexity set to "Very Dense," and I imagine this very prominent object should be visible at this setting (it was operating with the Dovetail version.)

Any ideas what I should do? I know it's a very minor thing, but if the dock is missing, is anything else? All advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Standard questions.

1-  Did you install the latest library files ?

2-  Did you after installing the library files, open FTX Central, and apply "North Americal"  as your active area?

Hi Penzoil3,

Thank you for your response. The problem is worse than I thought. The ORBX libs are current (160321), and I did "Apply Group" to North America after installing KFHR and SP1. I noticed the missing dock when I started the test flight from "Friday Harbor" (i.e. already airborne). When I started again from KFHR, I noticed a bigger problem.

Now, the airport terrain is a mess. Taxiways seem to be at proper elevation, but the runway looks like grey gravel elevated about 20 ft above the taxiways, with a ramp wall in front of the plane when it's ready for take off. Surrounding grassy areas are similarly elevated. The control tower hovers above the ground, rather than standing on an elevated knoll.

When I revert back to the Dovetail version, the airport looks fine. Also, the dock and adjacent buildings are properly present.

I tried removing the Dovetail version, by going into my Steam libraries and unchecking KFHR and the assets. This removes most of the files from the installation. However, FSX:SE hangs during startup. I re-checked the boxes, reinstalling Dovetail's version of Friday Harbor, and FSX:SE runs normally. However, this didn't fix the problems with the ORBX downloaded version.

Why did I bother installing the ORBX version? I found out that the updates probably weren't supported in the Dovetail version, nor was Orbx support, so I decided to take advantage of the sale.

So: Airport terrain elevation problems and a missing ferry dock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Problem solved! I discovered a third-party add-on (Victoria-Plus, an excellent representation of Victoria that covers some of the San Juan islands) that was placed above KFHR in the Scenic library. Dovetail's version was higher still, so it looked fine. After moving VicPlus below KFHR, all was right with Friday harbor.

Best regards,

Steve

Archived