W16 Monroe bleached texture

Jon Clarke

Yesterday I bought W16 and in day time the main industrial area near the airport is horribly bleached white. At dusk the textures are great. I have had bleaching problems before with some FTX airports in P3D and I think it was Ed who told me that it can be a problem in P3D. I have my own default settings for flights regarding every setting including lighting and have no problems at all in the vast majority of the airports. I could not use YMML for example because all the apron area was white. I will add a couple of pics to show the difference at W16, but my question is why do some airports have this problem in P3D ( with me anyway) and not others? Is is due to the "technology" used as both the examples of bleaching appear in older products? YMML was only updated to have a P3D installer, and JV has announced a newer version will have HD textures, and W16 is a reworked/updated FS2004 rendition according to the product details. I have payed around with the lighting Bloom, Brightness & Saturation as advised by ED previously but nothing works. Ed also stated that REX sky textures can have an adverse effect, but my point is that this is not universal in FTX products, only in a few, which seem to be the older products which have been updated or reworked.

here are the pics showing the huge difference between day and very early dusk.

W16earlyDusk.jpg

W16Daytime.jpg

Hi jjaycee1,

W16 Monroe Firstair and S43 Harvey Field for that matter were developed by Orbx from the ground up (circa 2012). At that time FSX and its vibrant ground texture was the main flight simulator of choice with P3D in its infancy version 1.3 -1.4.

I will leave the Subject of P3D washed out / bleached textures to the Team, and any opinions they might offer on the subject. 

FSX is more to my liking, P3D even in Vanilla has been overly bland, but some here have struck a more vibrant balance using enhancements.

Afaik the product for P3D and FSX is essentially the same but with some special P3D features and Quad installer directing it specifically to the intended sim. One thing I would say is that texture sets made for FSX have now had their burnt shadows removed to accommodate P3D's dynamic shadow system, I for one would not like to see P3D texture darkening / to enhance the colour as it would naturally overdarken FSX texture sets if the product is installed and patched to better suit P3D. 

As in FSX we users seek out and implement enhancements, to provide better more vibrant colours for the sky, ground, runway, apron, roadway, & lighting, these bring our sim world more to life in our own expectations of what is considered natural colouration in the virtual world. So it must be, when striking the perfect colour balance in any P3Dv1x 2x or 3x simulated world.

Obviously later products will have better out of the box colouration than earlier products as they were designed. You will probably need to experiment more to achieve a less bleached colour balance in your P3D installation, you might consider following people like Member: "Filou"  or our own "Iain Emms" for some setup tips and any enhancement programs and settings, as they seem to have their sim colours suitably balanced.

It is a little misleading to suggest that W16 is little more than a reworked/updated FS2004 rendition. I can assure you that it was and has been developed completely and extensively, modelling of the entire area including ground scenery and the various models displayed, including implementation of Objectflow, Natureflow, Peopleflow, and Orbx lighting technologies across 5 seasons none the less, even the very first implementation of railway and racetrack within FSX/P3Dv1.

Bob Bernstien as mentioned in the W16 PDF and product page, had done a beautiful rendition of Both W16 & S43 back in the days of FS2004 utilising the available tech of that period, and therefore played an integral role with the Development team Heiko Glatthorn & Andreas Hegi to develop W16 for Orbx in all its FTX glory. It is indeed a "Classic Reborn".

Here is a PDF for Bob's earlier Firstair & Harvey FS2004 works, which you may find interesting. http://online.simmarket.com/fsaddon/harvey/harvey_manual_color.pdf

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Jeff. I was not disparaging the W16 rendition by the way, merely explaining it was one of the older reworked products, and i appreciate the work. Regarding the work of Filou, I omitted to mention in my post that I do infact use Reshade with Filou's last setting before he ventured off to chef for rich people on a cruise ship ! I can switch on and off the reshade effects and although there is a difference the bleaching is still there. I have tried with HDR on and HDR off to no avail. I may well contact iain to see what he does, but I don't want to interrupt him getting on with NA OLC, as we are all anxiously awaiting it's release.

Copy that jjaycee1,

Btw did you read the endearing story in the linked PDF, it reminded me of that feeling when I first became interested in FlightSimulation, although I wish I had an Uncle Tim with a Maule parked and ready to fly when I was about John's age, I would probably never leave the airfield. What a fantastic location to have your first flight ever!! and then to see it faithfully recreated in FS2004 in the hangar with Uncle Tim's friends, WOW, big big day for young John.

Roger wilco, you are cleared to Monroe, watch left traffic, maintain 3000 until final.

All the best finding a less bleached colour tone, hopefully Iain or Filou's listed settings might provide a possible colour enhancement.

May I ask if you notice the overbrightness more so when the sun is at it peak or seasonally around mid-day.

Jeff, early, mid and noonish during the day.Post 3-4pm in Spring much better. Still experimenting but it looks definitely like the brighter the time of day the bleachier it is. I may try a different day texture from REX as Natural Day seems too much. The problem is though that it only pertains to a couple of airports. All other airports are fine with the textures i have as my default one's, and i must have at least 25 FTX airports from across the FTX Regions and Global.

jjaycee1,

Ok, I think you are on the right track then, keep working at it, that perfect balance isn't too far away. But what you need to remember with P3Dv3 are the cloud shadows, which is probably why textures appear lighter on an unshadowed scenery, so that the cloud shadows can display to maximum effect throughout all daylight time periods.

Hi jjaycee1,

Just now came across this if your interested "RealismShaderPack v1.1" for P3Dv3.2, I am not endorsing it as such but thought it worth a mention, please read the entire thread and decide for yourself if it might make a difference, there have been some installation issues with some users experiencing error so consider carefully before leaping in, and of course make the necessary backups as precaution. 
http://www.avsim.com/topic/487786-realismshaderpack-v11/page-2

Thanks Jeff. I took a long read of the link on Realism, all 17 pages, and decided to try it. It has removed the bleached look in W16. I will never know why there was a problem with W16 and YMML with my previous Reshade settings when they worked just fine in every other airport. I might reinstall YMML and see if that works now. Appreciate your help and input.

Archived