Help: Chicago Skyline, KCGX, and knowing if it's even installed correctly

StopYourself

I've been trying to rack my brain and going in circles here.  So I appreciate the help.  I'll try to break it down.

1.  Tried installing the following products to my FSX-SE set up:  FTX Global + Vector + KCGX (Meigs Field).  I was having issues seeing Chicago Skyline and Meigs and then started to question whether or not I actually installed it correctly.  Realized I also had GEX installed so I figured I'd blow it all up and start over.

2.  Uninstalled FSX:SE, carefully following steps listed on various websites including PMDG and others.  Took my time, cleared registries, etc.

3.  Reinstalled FSX:SE.  Restarted computer.  Followed all those steps.  I then figured I'd reinstall my add-ons using the ground-up system.

4.  Tried to install FTX Global.  Ran into issues where FTX could not find my scenery.cfg.  So I renamed the Microsoft FSX folder to FSX:SE. Or maybe it was reversed, sorry, not in front of my computer, but, regardless, I renamed a folder and I got FTX Global to not give me any scenery.cfg error messages after pressing Apply.

5.  I then made sure the scenery.cfg file in that folder that I renamed was changed.  The time/date modified updated.  I then copied that scenery.cfg file into my Steam FSX folder.  Replaced old one.  I read that FSX:SE uses THAT scenery.cfg file.  Correct move??

6.  Restarted.  Fired up FSX:SE and flew out of Chicago (Midway) to test it out.  I also made sure that the ORBX scenery files were listed in the FSX:SE settings (they were).    Looked nice, I guess, but I started wondering if FTX was installed correctly.  What really made me wonder was flying to downtown Chicago, I saw no familiar skyscrapers.  It looked like a bunch of generic buildings.  No Sears (called Willis now), Hancock, no Navy Pier, no Chicago Bears Soldier Field.  And I know I've seen those structures in base, untouched FSX:SE.   So it's making me question if I installed correctly or what's going on.

7.  I then installed FTX Vector.  Did same Scenery.cfg file steps I explained above.

8.  I then thought maybe KCGX (Meigs) would be what I needed to see correct Chicago Skyline.  I installed that.  Same scenery.cfg file steps.  Loaded up FSX:SE and still nothing.  No Meigs Field.  No skyline.  No Navy Pier.  Soldier Field.  Nothing.  

So now I'm left stumped.  I had a fresh install of FSX:SE.  No other add-ons or scenery.  And I'm left questioning if I'm actually seeing the effects of FTX.  I don't want to "think" I'm looking at the scenery and then realize that I'm looking at stock FSX.  And what's going on with KCGX?  I have NO idea!  

With FTX Global, should I see the Chicago Skyline? Or is that just with Meigs Airport add-on?  If it's just with Meigs, then why can't I see Meigs or anything Meigs contains?  These are questions that are driving me crazy.  

I have no problem doing another uninstall and fresh install.  But maybe I'm missing something and doing it incorrectly.  I've been scouring the internet and forums for a while now.  Please help.

I DID create a ticket or support request through FTX Central.  Here is the code that I'm supposed to copy and paste to a tech:    ot4c6c16fcf39c561bc02c7b0b69aaeec3

Thank you for reading and thanks for any and all help that anyone can give. 

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your woes, did you try and cycle with FTX Central, normally that should sort things out

attached a screenie how it looks on my end , if you could add a screenie to your post as how it looks on your end could be helpfull for us to determine the possible issue

ChicagofsX_FTX.jpg

Thanks for a quick response.  I've heard rumors about how supportive you guys are and they must be true!

I'll post a screen shot when I get home later, but I definitely don't see that!  It's just generic "skyscrapers" (none very tall).  Basically blocks.  

Two questions in the meantime:

1.  What do you mean cycle FTX Central? Or tell me to look it up and I will!

2.  The skyline -- should I be at least seeing that with FTX Global installed?  Or will that skyline only appear with Meigs installed?  (Basically I can't tell or figure out if I'm supposed to be seeing some skyline that resembles Chicago as soon as FTX Global is installed and then Meigs adding more specific detail.)

FTX Global will not change the skyline appearance, only having Meigs Field installed will make the difference.

Open up FTX Central, and apply the "Global" region once. Also while in FTX Central just do a quick check to see if Meigs Field is listed under the Global category. 

42 minutes ago, Alex Goff said:

FTX Global will not change the skyline appearance, only having Meigs Field installed will make the difference.

Open up FTX Central, and apply the "Global" region once. Also while in FTX Central just do a quick check to see if Meigs Field is listed under the Global category. 

Okay, thanks for the first answer!  So now I guess I can focus on the fact that it must be Meigs which is my issue.  And this makes me feel better because now I have more confidence that FTX Global at least is improving my scenery in general.  I wasn't sure how to tell if I actually had FTX working properly.  I was reading about flying in Australia and looking at the color of landscape (green vs brown).  I've been looking at screenshots (but I've found none of Chicago without Meigs).  So I'm sitting here thinking "Do I even have this installed correctly or am I just looking at standard FSX scenery and THINKING it's FTX?!"

As for where Meigs is listed, again, I'm not at home so I can't do a screen shot, but I can describe.  in FTX Central, on left hand side, under "Groups" is listed FTX Global with the word "active" in italics.  On right side, under FTX Global Layers (I believe), I show Vector 130 and 135 (i believe that's the listing -- I do have Vector installed).  Then under that on the right side is a sub category that says "Airports" and "KCGX" is listed and I can press "Configure."

Ok, it sounds like Meigs Field is installed then if you can see it in FTX Central. Try applying Global again through FTX Central and see if that works, when re-applying a region FTX Central re-inserts all active sceneries into the scenery.cfg. So if it's missing or not layered correctly that may sort it out.

Let us know how it goes!

It's fixed!  I had to manually add Meigs through FSX Scenery menus.

I tried applying Global again through FTX Central with no luck.  In my scenery library in FSX settings, all of the FTX Global scenery libraries were listed but Meigs was not.  

So then i just tried to manually add Meigs through FSX menu.  The Meigs folder WAS present in my FSX directory under Orbx, so I knew the files were there.  I had the glitch issue where FSX wouldn't add the directory so then I did the whole "click in the white area instead of OK" trick and it worked!

Now I have beautiful Meigs and a Chicago skyline!  

Thank you for your help and support.  I will definitely support your future products because of the support I received here.  Now just going to figure out some tweaking and decide which regions to get in the future (come on Midwest Region -- though I know it's mostly farmland..haha). 

Thanks again!

Archived