FSX vs P3Dv3

Dog4Zero

I was thinking of going to P3Dv3. But all of a sudden everyone with the new version is having some type of problem.  I think I will stay with FSX it's working with no problems, a little slow to load all the scenery files I have, but works great.

I`ve never had any problems with P3dv3.2, problem is ppl tend to tinker too much and forget about flying, what i will say for someone who wants to jump on the P3dv3 bandwagon is make sure your GPU is 4 gig or more, and yes that`s  preferably a 9 series Nvidia GPU otherwise you will not enjoy the full benefits of v3.2.

Your title this v that is a dark realm and hostile territory that i will not tread into, they both have great merits and attributes, i love both of them but will stay with P3d because it suits my setup and needs.

I have been an MFS user for over 15 years. For the past year, I have been enjoying outstanding success using FSX with a computer upgrade. Very few problems, lots of great addons and nearly flawless performance with smooth high frame rates. I never thought I'd use anything else. I mention this so you know this is coming from a very happy and satisfied FSX user. 

While keeping everything intact on my FSX install, last week I finally got P3D v3 and spent my entire Saturday setting it up and loading all my top addons. While there were some times of frustration trying to get a couple of them working that weren't designed for P3D, I eventually figured it out.

To me, it's the little things in P3D that make it more visually appealing and realistic than FSX. Cloud depiction, shadows, reflections, etc. But for me, the thing that puts it over the top is the HDR lighting. Specifically, being able to adjust saturation. I've never owned a monitor that could adjust saturation and I've always felt everything in FSX was just a little too dull and washed out. That problem is solved with HDR and the colors in the sim are nothing short of breathtaking now.

I couldn't be more happy that I gave P3D another try. I was so disappointed when I first tried it about a year and a half ago. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. But I've decided I can live with the small frustrations of getting some addons to work. Plus, it's one of the platforms of the future for flight simming. And by the way, other than the minor addon issues, I haven't had a single problem yet with v3, either in installation or use. 

3 hours ago, Dog4Zero said:

I was thinking of going to P3Dv3. But all of a sudden everyone with the new version is having some type of problem. 

That might be a bit of an inaccurate statement. People do post issues they have when the app has an update, but usually things get sorted out as the issues are almost always on the user's side. Back in version 2, a couple of years ago, P3D was unstable, but v3.x is quite stable. Anyway, use which ever sim you would like. FSX is nice, but good grief is it an old application. 

I have just had a very high end gaming machine built.  My old i7920 2.7 Ghz was bogged down using FSX. It is a seven year old machine.

So after plenty of saving I have loaded up with and i6700 4.2 Ghz, GTX 970 4gig Gddr5 video card, 16 gigs RAM, ASUS z170-A motherboard.

My goal was to rebuilt my FSX but build up a P3Dv3+ in parallel.  Eventually leaving FSX behind.

Investing in top end hardware has produced amazing results....I am finally able to run FSX as it should be and I know that P3Dv3 will be spectacular.

There are always hiccups building up the sim due to incompatibilities of various sorts, one just has to have patience, learn along the way.

With my FTX suite installed, Regions, Global, Vector and other UTX, FS Genesis Nextmap mesh...sliders all MAX, texture size set to 4096, LOD 6.5...I did a fly over in a business jet at 350 knts.over KSEA Seattle downtown with unlimited frames I hit near a 100.  Just outside the urban area my frames went up to 250.

Smooth as glass, not a micro stutter...a thing of beauty.  In the end the quality of the hardware means a lot to an extremely great sim experience in either sim.

I should have mentioned the reason that one might keep FSX would be that planes like Flight1's T-182T requires a separate purchase of a license for P3D.  I am not into buying two licenses unless the price is reduced for the second version.

• Guest locked this topic

Archived