Can you operate a 737-800 out of Telluride?

Mac_Maddog88

You would struggle with the 737-600 so i doubt the 800 would work, but it`s a simulator and anything is possible, however parking and taxiways might also prove hazardous with the wingspan and terrain obstacles around Rwy 27 hold short nodes.

Dash 8 or the RJ70 would be ok i guess but then parking might be tight.

A little research at Airnav shows a Weight Bearing Capacity for a dual wheel aircraft (i.e., 2 wheels per bogey) of 89,000 lbs and the 737 certainly exceeds that. According to Airliners.net, the empty operating weight of the -800 is 90,710 lbs, which implies that the runway weight limitation is designed to prohibit this airplane; take-off weights are scaled to as much as 174,000 lbs. which clearly puts KTEX out of reach of the -800.

Whatever airline services there might be would have to be relatively small regional jets at best. I didn't look further than that but the airport might have it's own additional limitation on wingspan and ramp weights. And, runway width could enter into the calculation, especially for §121 and/or §135 operations. Then, of course, there are runway length vs. aircraft performance capabilities; I strongly suspect that accelerate/stop distance will be the most limiting factor. Landing presents another great challenge: the higher approach speed at that altitude will make even a 7111 foot runway very, very small.  They have emergency arresting gear at both ends but it might not be able to stop a 737 at well over 100,000 lbs. All in all, lots of challenges.

It would be fun to try it in the sim where legalities have no meaning but I suggest you go out at the lightest weight your fuel to an adequate destination will allow. Should be quite thrilling...let us know how it goes.

Archived