Dreaded trees on Florida Airport

mnowinski

After many months of no issues with trees on airport property it's surfaced again at 55J - Fernandina Beach, FL.

I am:

1. using FTX Global, FTX Global Vector and FTX OpenLC NA, ORBX Freeware NA Airport Files
  2. running Win 7 Pro, FSX SP2/Accel, DX10 Preview
  3. Don't have any 3rd party Airport scenery in the area.

Things I have done so far without success in removing trees.

1. checked my entire FSX SSD for files pertaining to 55J and found only two.  ORBX ADE_FTX_FTXG_55J and ABP_55J
  2. removed both of these files from directories, ran Global Vector Config Tool.
  3. checked AEP for 55J and no airport found
  4. ran FSX with and without DX10 Preview
  5. tried creating an Airport Boundary Exclusion File removing all autogen

I think that's it.  Any thoughts graciously accepted.

Thanks,

55J_badtrees.jpg

On 4/22/2016 at 11:40 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Here is Holger's answer to the same question.

Nick,

I usually check for previous posts on a question that I'm posting and have followed Holger's instructions in the past regarding trees on runways.  Until today, I couldn't find anything wrong with the ORBX installation.

After some more research today, here's what I found.

1.  ORBX has changed the name of the airport ADE file from 55J (Fernandina Beach, FL) to KHRB, the newest ICAO code.  Thus I couldn't find anything in previous searches.

2.  I've posted an image below of the entries I found in my ORBX directory and removed all three, then added them back in one at a time.

3.  The culprit file is ADE_FTX_FTXG_KFHB_CVX.  The unwanted trees only appear when this file is added.  I "think" these CVX files have something to do with polygons.  Can someone verify the issue with this file?

Thanks very much,

KFHB_Img.png

Hi mnowinski,

KHRB ????, I have no such ICAO code in my sim, what airfield does it belong to.

I don't think there is a problem with "ADE_FTX_FTXG_KFHB_CVX.bgl" KFHB (55J) Fernandina Beach Muni displays correctly in my sim, although I do not have Vector just FTXGlobalBase and the latest FTXGlobal freeware Pack25. (See pic below) You should re-enable the file. (Don't worry that your runway is not the same as mine I have changed the runway texture set in my setup).

Quite possibly you have your Scenery Library order positioned incorrectly, or you have another scenery addon impacting the airfield. If you can take some screenies of your FSX Scenery Library and FTXCentral insertion points panel, post them back here, that may indicate the problem. If the library order is correct, then you should uncheck all non-Orbx addon scenery and airfields from your Scenery Library, then check KFHB (55J) that it is displaying properly, if it is OK then re-enable each addon one at a time until the problem returns, you will soon find the culprit addon. 

3942e0bfebf624b838403adc846e6802.jpg

Here it is in FSX with Vector active and all the files in place.

2016-4-26_10-59-22-761.jpg

Here it is with ADE_FTX_FTXG_KFHB_CVX.bgl disabled, you can see that only the airport background is affected.

Untitled.jpg

Here it is with ADE_FTX_FTXG_55J.bgl disabled, you can see that this file excludes the default version.

2016-4-26_11-17-19-936.jpg

You can see in your shot that there is no airport background ( grass skirting polygon) and therefore nothing to exclude the autogen.

As in Holger's topic, something is disabling it, either your scenery library is out of order or you have another version of the same

location active.

55J_badtrees.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for those pics, they do show significant disorder to the Scenery Library/Insertion Points, particularly the Vector entries and OLC FTX positions. 

Member "Voyager" has prepared a pictoral guide in the link below, it will show you where each element should be placed.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/107329-insertion-points/

All your addon sceneries and airports can remain above OZx FTX OLC VECTOR AEC 

"OZx" should be directly above "FTX"

"FTX" should be above "OLC"

"Addon Scenery" should be below "FTX & OLC"

"Addon Scenery" I am inclined to place it in its default location between "Reno" & "Propeller Objects"  Voyagers guide shows just above FTX

"OBJ, APT, CVX, EXX," they are too low in the list and should be above "1107 Base", 
"AEC" is in the right place and should be between "Default Terrain & 0000 Base".

Finally after you have set your "insertion points" I would select FTXGlobal Group and re- Apply the Group, this should force FTXCentral to place all FTX entries into their correct Alphanumeric order in the FSX Scenery Library.

Hi again Mike,

I have looked again at your Insertion Points pictures and need to suggest one more correction. I have no idea how the entries became so out of order, but quite possibly you have manually moved things around or use a Utility to control your Scenery Library, which is causing your sim to misbehave.

At the very bottom of the "Scenery Library" there are  2 entries ( "Default Terrain"  & Default Scenery" ) Your picture shows "Default Terrain" above "Default Scenery" they should be "Default Terrain" at the bottom then "Default Scenery" directly above, then "ORBX!VECTOR_AEC" then "0000 Base - 1107 Base" the rest as described in Voyagers Insertion points diagrams. You can change their positions to the correct order in FSX Scenery Library.

Here is a pic of the basic vanilla FSX Scenery Library order for these 2 entries, and how they should show in Insertion points.

daa5de4262a0da45dccf572c089e298c.jpg

Jeff,

After making the changes you suggested and saving them:  (See images below)

1. I "Re-Applied" the FTX Global Group and tested FSX....trees still there.
  2. I then checked the LIPs again and lo and behold, they were changed from what I had saved.  All of the ORBX Vector Files were moved back to the bottom of the list and the Scenery and Terrain   points were reversed to what I had originally.
  3. I then removed ALL of my 3rd party scenery from FSX, reloaded and the trees were still there.  Strange occurrence also was that after reversing the Scenery/Terrain file positions in the LIP and starting FSX, I double checked the postions in the FSX Scenery library and they were still Reading Terrain, then Scenery.  When I tried to reverse them in FSX, it would let me move them either Up or Down.
  4. Reset the LIPs back to your suggestions, saved them but did not re-apply the FTX Global Group and problem still there.
  5. Last resort was to reload the Freeware ORBX NA Airports (which contains the 55J and KFHB bgl files) and still no change.

I am at a loss again.  

LIP1.jpg

LIP2.jpg

LIP3.jpg

Hello,

I attach a default FSX scenery.cfg file.

Please unzip it and go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

There you will find your scenery.cfg file, please rename it to scenery.cfg.off

and put the attached scenery.cfg file into the folder.

Then open FSX and use the scenery library to add the orbx libraries first and then the

freeware airports.

You can find them at

ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS and

ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS respectively.

With just these scenery library entries, please return to the airport and see if it

looks as it should.

Close FSX.

If it does, next go to ORBX\Scripts where you will find FTXConfigurator_VECTOR.exe.

Right click on the file and select Run as administrator.

You won't see much happen but the Vector scenery library entries will have been added

in the right place.

Please return to the airport again and see if the trees are still not there and that the airport

background is.

Please let us know how you get on.

Scenery.zip

Nick,

Followed you instructions and and changed the scenery.cfg file, started FSX and added the ORBX Libsfile and the FTXG_Airports file.  See image below from FSX.

Started FSX and went to 55J (the original A/P ICAO code) first and trees were still there.  Then tried locating at KFHB (same airport but using the ORBX ADE entry on the Airports page) and trees still there.

LIP4.jpg

LIP5.jpg

Archived