Do FTX regions utilize higher resolution mesh?

Noel

Looks like some areas might but I'm not certain.  Seems like mesh is really weak throughout FSX/P3D world.  I learned about FreeMeshX but not sure it's really much better over default P3D V3 mesh--just from looking at its specs not from trying it.   And do FTX regions utilize higher resolution mesh?  I would happily pay $$ for a high resolution mesh it seems like it would add a lot provided the runway area terrain elevation problems aren't there.

Hi Noel,

to add to what Alex has stated the terrain mesh files made for the regions are always made from the best available (and affordable) source data and often blend different sources together for better local accuracy. For example, the NA regions are based on the USGS 10m data. However, since these are quite ancient (1940s-60s) and thus miss a surprising number of human-made surface changes for roads and railroads (i.e., cuts and fills) we blend in modern 3-m LIDAR data or similar sources to minimize unsightly "rollercoaster" highways across hilly terrain.  

Also keep in mind that the elevations and local "sculpting" of airports and lakes/rivers within an FTX Region are fit to our terrain mesh data meaning that using other mesh files may cause local terrain steps or other blending issues.

Cheers, Holger

On 12.3.2016 at 5:41 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Also keep in mind that the elevations and local "sculpting" of airports and lakes/rivers within an FTX Region are fit to our terrain mesh data meaning that using other mesh files may cause local terrain steps or other blending issues.

Cheers, Holger

Which might pose a potential issue after we've got the unified lclookup without region switching. Outside of fat Regions (in OpenLC land) you will nee a 3rd party mesh (say one of the Pilot's flavors) - which however might interfere when you enter a Region being optimized for Holger mesh. Thus you would have to again "switch" mesh in the scenery library from, say, Holger mesh Australia to Pilot's at the borderline.

Is this a pseudo problem or a real one?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Archived