FTX Southern California Impressions

aviator1213

I live in Southern California, and was really excited about FTX SoCal.  While it seems to capture the look and feel of SoCal, in my limited flights in FTX SoCal so far, I have been disappointed by many missing landmarks.

1) The Catalina airport (aka "Airport in the Sky") is a very distinctive airport with the "tower" (it's a nontowered airport) being part of the whole airport.

2) The Santa Barbara harbor and Stearns Wharf - this is a major attraction with many sailboats; probably the first thing any pilot looks for when in SB.  It's completely neglected in FTX SoCal.

3) University of California, Santa Barbara lagoon: it's dry land in FTX SoCal!

4) The famous Hollywood Bowl: Not found at all in FTX SoCal; not even as a flat, photoreal feature.

5) Knott's Berry Farm and the huge radio tower northwest of the Fullerton Airport: these are major attractions protruding high into the airspace in the otherwise flat area.  The radio tower is found in FTX SoCal, but not as prominent as I remember, while Knott's Berry Farm's large rollercoasters are missing.

6) The famous Rose Bowl in Pasadena: completely missing in FTX SoCal.

I realize SoCal is a large area and there are many famous landmarks...but these are pretty obvious omissions.

Hopefully these and many other landmarks can be added in a future update.

Thank you!

Limited to 4mb...can't add anymore.

Walt Disney Concert Hall (now the face of Los Angeles, its photo is prominently displayed at KLAX) and the adjacent new Broad Museum are also missing.  The older Dorothy Chandler Pavilion building (Music Center in downtown LA) next door is there though.

Staples Center is found, but the impressive Ritz Carlton next to it is not....

I am sure there are others.  I know I am probably asking a lot or even too much, but hopefully some of the very high-profile landmarks will be added.

Yes, I am sure they can, however not so easy to find in the simulator.

With co-ordinates (Shift+Z) in the shot it becomes very easy.

Sometimes missing landmarks can be because of a fault in an installation,

so it is useful to be able to check the locations.

Here is the answer to your first shot.

I think this is the answer to your second.

Thanks for the tip re Shift+Z.

Location of missing Knotts Berry Farm: http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GGC3

The antenna tower to its northwest is in the KFUL traffic pattern and has killed pilots.

There is a water tower southwest of KEMT, which is quite distinctive for that airport.

For some reason antenna towers are very slim and almost invisible day or night in P3D.  In real life, the towers' red lights are quite prominent at night, and the towers are not hard to find either during the day.

Are the antennas default P3D objects?  It'd be great to make them more visible in FTX....

Love SoCal, these are not complaints, just observations.  Some key landmarks need attention or are missing:

• The powerplant on the coast west of KCRQ appears to be single story, actually it's about 10.
  • And the 4 oil tanks just east of it are HUGE. Need to be about half as big.
  • The big red water tank WNW of KOKB is missing altogether.
  • The Crystal Pier, west of the Mission Bay VOR is missing.
  • Catalina Is. airport has distinct hump in the middle but it's missing.

Great job! Eager to buy add-on airports as they're released.

Archived