Beginner in need of help

Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and hoping to get help. I wanted to buy FTX Global and also get the England scenery. Before going ahead, I wanted to download some of the freeware that Orbx have available, namely Lilydale Airport YLIL. Also wanted to have a crack at the EU freeware airports. 

So i downloaded these. I first tried to install YLIL. The process starts fine, until the percentage bar reaches the end and i get a popup saying scenery.cfg is missing. I then tried to install FTXGlobal EU - this seems to work ok.

I tried to install FTXCentral2 (thought this might help). When I installed it, it found my FSX folder (steamapps, common, FSX) no problem and installed fine.

When i open Central it asks which version of FSX i want to open for: FSX or FSX-SE. Both options point to the same root (as above). If i pick Steam, it loads and when when i click Apply Region next to Global - i get the missing scenery.cfg as before.

If i open Central and select FSX, it opens and if I then click Apply Region, nothing seems to happen.

On running FSX SE itself, i can see any of the addons anywhere.

I have done a lot of searching and come up with nothing. I have seen the issues people have with running FSX and FSX.SE. This doesnt apply to me as i have never owned anything but FSX.SE on this machine.

If anyone can shed a little light on what might be the issue - i would be very grateful. Am i doing something fundamentally wrong?

Apologies, I'm very new to the world of mods and add-ons, but very enthusiastic to start getting some good looking environments.

Kind regards!!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

If you have only FSX Steam, you should treat it is if it was FSX.

My guess would be that you have installed the libraries and the products using

the Steam Edition version of the installer.

If you continue and use the FSX installers and the FSX choice in FTX Central,

you should be able to install and run the freeware products. 

If you wish to remove the FSX steam option it will involve editing the Windows

Registry.

You would have to use the registry editor to navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DovetailGames

and then delete the Dovetail Games entry.

Did you install the latest libraries to get FTX Central?

If not, you will need to do so to see the freeware airports properly.

As you have found, if you use the FSX option, you don't see the error message.

If you use the FSX Steam option you will see it because FTX Central then looks

for a different folder.

For your information, there are three folders for FSX that are outside the main folder.

These are all hidden in Windows File Explorer by default, to see them you will need to go to the view options

and enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives"

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.  This is where you will find the scenery.cfg file that FSX uses for addon scenery.

The one in the main folder is only a back up for FSX to create a new one from.

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX   This where the Shaders are, these determine how the picture

looks.

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX   This is where you will find the fsx.cfg, the dll.xml and the exe.xml

files which are configuration files for the way that FSX runs, the addon installed and any other software that starts with it.

There is also a scenery.cfg file in this folder, also a back up and should be left alone.

If FSX Steam is installed alongside FSX, folders in the same place are created and named FSX-SE, to avoid conflict.

When you ask FTX Central to start for FSX Steam, it looks for these FSX-SE folders and does not find them, thus an error

message is generated.

Fantastic info. Thank you - it worked. 

Now that ive opened FTX Central 2, none of the installed add ons appear on the left hand side. I cant see any option in FSX either. I've looked under installed in Central and the list has indeed been populated. Just no way to activate the add-ons. 

Thank you you again for your time and patience. 

I don't think FTX Central needs to configure any of those freeware products,

as long as you have the libraries installed.

You can look in game at your scenery library and you should see entries for

FTXAA_AIRPORTS and

FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS

You should also see an entry for

FTXAA_ORBXLIBS

Area 120 may be the addon scenery folder which is included in the Orbx

scenery.cfg file but is not installed by FSX Steam.

Check that this is the case by checking your scenery library and if so, you can create

a folder inside your FSX root folder, call it addon scenery and inside create two more

folders, named scenery and texture.

I did a fresh install and followed original steps. Everything works great now!

I also just purchased FTX EU England and made my first flight with the new scenery from Biggin Hill (my local airport) up through east anglia. Chuffed. 

Thanks for for all your support 

regards, 

mike 

Archived