For FTX and UTX users

pwheeler

Hi,

just to make you all aware if you are running UTX, FTX will overwrite your terrain.cfg so you need to run the UTX setup tools after installing FTX in order for UTX to work properly.

I had a shock when I loaded up Europe and all my UTX coastlines had dissapeared!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for the heads-up. Actually, that's why you should switch FTX mode OFF when flying outside of Australia. FTX doesn't overwrite the terrain.cfg it moves it into a backup folder and switches in its own modified version; setting FTX mode to OFF restores the backup copy of the terrain.cfg.

See http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1324.0

As I mentioned in that thread you can let your add-ons, like UT-X, add their entries to the FTX terrain.cfg but there are other global files that FTX replaces so it's still better to use the FTX mode switcher.

Perhaps we need to make a more prominent sticky post about this.

Cheers, Holger

Hi,

Is there any chance of getting a list of what FTX has changed in the global files? I don't really want to be turning FTX mode off and on all the time (I assume you have to exit the sim to do this). What if you're doing a flight from Austrailia to another country? If we had a list of possible conflicts then we can make a decision whether to switch on and off FTX mode or live with the problems.

If there are global changes that FTX makes that may cause a problem are they essential? Maybe we could find a happy medium so we can run all packages side by side. I tend to fly in lots of different places and I really don't want to have to exit the sim, switch FTX mode off, then restart the sim just to fly somewhere not covered by FTX and then repeat this when I go back to an FTX region.

I have to say that I haven't noticed any major problems keeping FTX mode on and flying over a UTX covered region now that I've rerun the UTX setup tools. (it was a good reminder of how rubbish the default coastlines were! Its easy to take these spectacular addons for granted after a while!)

What are you going to do for FTX in the US? Your website says it will be compatible with UTX.

Cheers,

Paul

Sorry, ignore all that! I've just found the list of changes in the other thread you mentioned!

There doesn't appear to be anything too much of a problem there. I think I'll leave FTX mode on then!

Thanks for the help and thanks for FTX - its truely a revelation!

Paul

Archived