FTX Mode

Alvega

Hi

I would like to know what exactly what will i miss if i don't turn FTX mode ON before flying on an FTX region. I ask this because i noticed FTX mode ON disables UTX Europe, at least where i use to fly. If i don't miss much by not enabling it, i may prefer to fly without it enabled.

Thanks and congrats to the team, i love FTX for VFR flying.

Hi Alvega,

thanks for the kind words!

See http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1286.0 regarding your question. In particular, note the first entry in the list of files: terrain.cfg. This is a global file that gets modified by a number of add-ons, including Ultimate Terrain-X, Vancouver+, Victoria+, some MegaScenery titles, and others. The FTX Mode utility places the current version into its backup folder and replaces it with the FTX mod. That's why you're missing UT-X features when flying in UT-X coverage areas.

If you really don't want to switch back and forth between FTX ON and OFF then you could let the respective add-ons add their entries to the activated FTX terrain.cfg (i.e., with FTX Mode ON). With UT-X you simply need to run the respective UT configurators once; with the other add-ons you may need to run a repair or do a re-install.

However, for simplicity's sake (and because of the other default files replaced by FTX) I'd recommend turning FTX off whenever you fly outside of Australia.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Taikgunner,

thanks for the kind words!

For the most part you wouldn't notice whether you have FTX mode on or off; it depends on the active land class file and region you're in whether you'd see differences in the automated changes to other classes on steeper terrain (one of the things FTX adjusts) or other changes.

Thus, if you do a flight from OZ to NZ or vice versa there's no need to shut down FS half way through the flight and run the switcher. In general, though, it's probably a good idea to develop a habit of turning FTX mode off before flying anywhere else.

Cheers, Holger

Archived