Norway Hard Winter

Terblanche

Thank your ORBX for your great scenery. I purchased FTX Norway and two things -

1. It did not add the scenery automatically to the scenery.cfg file and I had to do it manually ... any reason?

2. Norway seems pretty green for this time of year. Only snow at the Aerosoft airports and on mountains ... also, any reason for this or is there a setting somewhere to get hard winter?

PS: I also have Scotland and there the winter textures are much more realistic.

Warm regards from Cape Town

Terblanche

This thread might help with appreciating when and where there is snow in Norway when using the FTX region.

I've not spent very much time in Norway in the winter, but I've lived in central Sweden, and even there, snows before mid December can often to melt away with occasional warm days (relatively speaking). The Gulf Stream has a profound effect on northern Europe, and Norway in particular.

The tl;dr, the southern coast of Norway has highly variable snow cover in winter, and the base texture for these regions is only set to hard winter for a couple of months (January & February).

I live in Norway (near ENCN, Kristiansand Airport). 

Right now we have almost 10 degrees and a little bit of rain, and quite a bit of wind.

Usually we don't get really hard winters anymore, except for a handful of weeks in february-ish. This is different further north, but it is not unheard of to get green christmases there too. :)

Hi guys,

just an update to the link with the discussion about the NOR seasons and my animated .gif: With NOR SP1 we changed the seasons control file so that now the entire country does show snow-covered textures during January and February; I mentioned that here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89258-seasons-in-ftx-norway/?do=findComment&comment=814269

If you have Aerosoft Norwegian airports installed, specifically Jo Erlend's Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, and Tromso (and I'd assume his recent Svolvaer), as well as  Joakim Tychesen's ENTO Torp/Sandefjord, then their photoreal ground's seasonal variations should match the NOR SP1 control file provided you are using the current versions of those airports.

Cheers, Holger

Archived