Trees On Runway (and other wrong areas)

lnuss

Since installing Global BASE in P3D V2.4 I have trees on the runway and other supposedly excluded (autogen) areas of KLVS (Las Vegas, NM) and 48V (Erie Municipal, CO, Denver area) when using sceneries I've built with ADE. When disabling my sceneries, leaving the default airport, the problem doesn't exist, so it appears that somehow Global Base is disregarding the exclusion polygons for autogen (possibly landclass, too, but that's another subject).

I've not checked all the New Mexico and Colorado sceneries I've built with ADE, but I know these two are wrong and some others are OK, in that respect.

Any thoughts?

Added:

It occurs to me that I should mention that there are numerous areas of a messed up landclass, too, some putting conifer forests in the middle of the desert and some putting extremely dense housing in desert areas that are near a city. Maybe some of that will be fixed with the OpenLC USA, I hope. Oh yes, the circular irrigation area on the east side of Sandia Mountain, just north of the antenna farm (Forest Of Steel) -- actually on the slopes that should be all forest.

Hi there,

it might be helpful to see some representative screenshots: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Global Base "only" exchanges the default landclass textures plus autogen, located in Scenery\World\texture, with its own version. There's no technical reason why your own airport files wouldn't work unless you're using some "exotic" landclass types meaning something other than airport grass or dirt. Even then the standard autogen excludes should work as before. I assume you've installed the current Orbx Libraries and then activated Global in FTX Central via "Apply Group"?

Cheers, Holger

I guess I'm ' using some "exotic" landclass types' since I want the airport terrain to match surrounding terrain, as happens in many (most?) real airports, at least in the southwest. And I do have excludes that seem to be ignored covering the areas where I encounter this. Also, it all was fine with the default scenery surrounding the airports prior to installing BASE. And I do have the latest ORBX Libs and Global is activated in FTX Central. I posted (a few minutes ago) a couple of screen shots in the screenshot sub forum, since I wasn't sure whether they were welcome in this sub forum. If it's better to move them here I'll do that.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry,

looks like there are no grass polygons active for your versions of the airport. Do you have a _CVX.bgl file along with the main ADE .bgl files in your scenery folder? The CVX file contains all polygon (flattens, excludes, landclass polygons, etc.) and vector (roads, shorelines, etc.) data for your airport. It's a different data type and thus compiled with a different compiler as a separate bgl file by ADE.

Also, have a look at my suggestion for Ken in regards to using TMFViewer: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/107597-nrm-degrading-addon-airport/?do=findComment&comment=970098

Cheers, Holger

Hi, Holger. Yes the _CVX is there along with the main .bgl. Looking at the post you linked, it appears that I may have to redo the landclasses and recompile most of my airports since installing Global. Apparently there is no way, now, to get ADE to display the differences in the landclass selection tool (I just tried again). So the TMF Viewer is the only way to see that? Guess I'll check that out.

As you can see below, it appears that the landclass substitution is part of my problem, causing the forest landclass. However the autogen exclude (which covers most of that same area) is apparently being ignored.

2015-12-22_5-57-30-819.jpg.32746d279ad69

Thanks for the help.

Hi there,

in my experience having the landclass polygon and autogen exclude in the same file doesn't work reliably. Thus, I'd suggest either placing a standard grass polygon (which doesn't have autogen) around the runways and taxiways or making a separate autogen exclude file that sits at higher display priority than the file with the forest polygon.

Cheers, Holger 

Brief update:

After playing around with KLVS, mostly recreating terrain polygons, I seemed to be having no luck, but this morning when I went back into P3D at KLVS, the trees were miraculously gone, though the landclasses still aren't right. But the exclude autogen is now working. However trying the same thing at other airports with the same problem hasn't worked so far. Guess I'll see what an exclude only scenery added might do.

Another Update:

I created an Exclude Autogen file for Boulder, CO (1V5), which still has the trees problem. I placed it in its own folder, created a scenery area for it in the Scenery Library, and placed it at priority 1, then tried just below all FTX stuff (and below my airports), then tried clear down just under Africa but above Base?? and it still looks like the overhead view shot below in all cases:2015-12-24_10-5-13-697.jpg.621a0a8a2cdc2

For comparison, here's what KLVS looked like before I installed Global:

2015-12-25_10-20-35-650.jpg.0a90573af619

Certainly the surrounding area is different, since that's Global's job, but maybe this will give you an idea of why I choose these textures, so that the airport doesn't look like a "postage stamp" with green (in the summer) grass in an area where that would take water we don't have, along with a lot of irrigation expense.

For comparison, here is the Google Earth pic of KLVS:

567d829219052_LasVegasGoogleEarthPic.thu

So is there a way I can accomplish this goal?

Hi there,

the correct order, from highest to lowest priority, would be: (1) your autogen exclude files; (2) your airport files; (3) the Orbx/FTX block (or just the Global Vector entries outside of FTX regions). That's essentially the order we're using for the FTX Regions as well and one of the reasons we have files in four separate subfolders.

For Boulder I'd just use one of the default airport grass classes as the skirting looks pretty green in GE and Bing; e.g., Airfield1 or 2, and for the light industrial area south of RW26 you can draw a separate polygon with the sparse-trees class you used.

At KVLS, if the default dry-grass "Dirt" class is too yellow you could try "Savanna Grass" instead. 

Again, though, I'm not sure why the autogen excludes don't work for you if the above setup is used.

Cheers, Holger

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late getting back to this thread. Thanks for the further information, Holger. I've now had a chance to get around to a lot more of my airports, and a large percentage don't have this problem, but there are several (other than mentioned above), so hopefully I can get this right soon.

Thanks,

Larry

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being so late getting back to this, but I've been busy, out of town, etc. I created an Excludes folder, moved all the CVX files to it, and it seems to have done the job. I've not yet visited ALL the 80 plus airports I've done, but at the ones I've visited things look good.

Thanks Holger, for the time you spent educating me.

Larry

Archived