Autogen on/off program

krigl

Hi,

I was just wondering whether someone might find it worthwhile - if it's even possible - to make a little utility that turns autogen on/off automatically when you reach a certain level. For example 3000 ft. It would be nice if you could set it to whatever height you wanted it to switch. That way, you'd have autogen when you are at landing and take-off for that immersion, but when higher up you'd get better frames and see the great autogen-less textures. Another possibility would be to have a shortcut key you could press to remove autogen when you liked.

I suppose if this type of thing were possible then other things could be altered while flying to improve frames whilst among all the autogen at low level - for example detailed draw distance could come down below 500 ft or whatever.

Just wondering and suggesting.

Cheers

Krigl

Hello Krigl,

that's a great idea that has been tossed around in various forms before. Definitely makes sense but I'm afraid it would be difficult to implement. One approach might be to temporarily deactivate the autogen placement files once the user aircraft has reached a specified elevation above ground. However, that would require quite a few file operations and it also would have to be tested whether the fact that FSX actively searches for these files would have a negative impact on display speed and fluidity or memory allocation. There may be other options but it seems that the "Holy Grail" of autogen handling has yet to be found.

Cheers, Holger

Doesn't the SmallPartRejectRadius take care of this to an extent at altitude?

to make a little utility that turns autogen on/off automatically when you reach a certain level.

I suppose you could use the autogen sliders in the display settings. It would interrupt the flow of the flight to a small extent but would have the desired effect.

Archived