Elevated Water

MattyChays

With Vector 1.3 and OpenLC NA on top of Global enabled I am getting elevated "water cliffs" that rise into runways and airports. I have experienced it numerous places throughout Alaska which is dissappointing. My scenery library is in the order specififed in the definitive guide, my libraries are up to date and I ran the AEC so I am really at a loss on this one. I've attached pictures at PADQ (Kodiak), PAKT (Ketchickan) and PHJR (Kalaeloa, in Hawaii but since I fly out of here for real daily its disappointing to see half of the airport is underwater)

I appreciate the help.

PADQ

PADQ.png?psid=1

PAKT

PATK.png?psid=1

PHJR

PHJR.png?psid=1

Unfortunately I can't see the screenshots but I guess the problem is that the coastline was corrected by VECTOR, but the airport boundary polygons of the airports you use (default or add-on) don't match the new coastline, so they are partly in water. Airport boundary polygons do not only exclude autogen objects but also provide the flattening of the airport which is why if they cover water, the water is raised to the airport elevation. This is basically a design issue of FSX and would require to have updated default airports (some FSX airports are totally misplaced or have at least airport boundary polygons that are way too large).

If you use add-on airports you would probably have to contact the developer, if you use default airports we can put them on our list and maybe update the airport boundary polygons in a future update.

Cheers,

Bernd

• 1 month later...

Hi Stefan.

Here's the problem at Kodiak (PADQ) if you couldn't see it from Matts picture.
(This is with vector 1.35, and FreeMeshX).

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/12/29/KodiakCliff.jpg

So I guess the default airport extent and elevation is at odds with the rest of the scenery. The accurate vector coast line has cut through the airport's base polygon and changed what was once a rocky cliff into a wall of water. The airport is elevated in reality, but the clumsy shape of the default airport polygon means that for ease of fixing this aesthetically, dropping this airport to roughly sea level would be the easist way to tidy it up (not good for realism though I know).

Now if the vector airport elevation correction tool can change the heights of other airports, why not this one?
How easy would be be to provide a way to let us add our own elevation entries into the AEC tool?  Perhaps an offset from the current value to make adjustments.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2015-12-28 at 3:32 PM, DAVIDF4 said:

Hi Stefan.

Here's the problem at Kodiak (PADQ) if you couldn't see it from Matts picture.
(This is with vector 1.35, and FreeMeshX).

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/12/29/KodiakCliff.jpg

So I guess the default airport extent and elevation is at odds with the rest of the scenery. The accurate vector coast line has cut through the airport's base polygon and changed what was once a rocky cliff into a wall of water. The airport is elevated in reality, but the clumsy shape of the default airport polygon means that for ease of fixing this aesthetically, dropping this airport to roughly sea level would be the easist way to tidy it up (not good for realism though I know).

Now if the vector airport elevation correction tool can change the heights of other airports, why not this one?
How easy would be be to provide a way to let us add our own elevation entries into the AEC tool?  Perhaps an offset from the current value to make adjustments.

I am currently working on a Global Freeware version of PADQ which adjusts the flatten to fix the water cliffs. Should be available about March or April depending on the next release.

Larry

Archived