Altering the drive that Unwrapper uses?

Hi guys, 

I thought this might be worth a shot here.. as it technically is related to V3 and installers.

Is there any way at all of changing the drive that the Unwrapping process uses for the temp files? 

I have my sim installed onto an ssd labelled 'H:'.. though of course, the unwrapper needs space on C: drive. 

As my C drive is almost full, I literally cannot free up any more space.. is there any other way around this? 

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

Regards,

John 

Yes, the unwrapper puts files into the Windows temp folder.

This can be moved to anywhere on your PC.

Here is one of many guides to be found on the internet and here is the relevant extract.

To change the location of the System Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

1.       Right click on Computer and click on Properties. In the resulting window with the basic information about your computer

2.       Click on Advanced system settings on the left panel resulting in a dialog box click on the Advanced tab a

3.       Click on the button near the bottom labeled Environment Variables.

4.       You may see both TMP and TEMP listed in the section labeled User variables for (account). That's the common location; each different login account is assigned its own temporary location.

5.       In the Variable value Edit box you may specify the path to the directory that Windows and many other programs will use for temporary files.

Be sure and repeat that process for both TMP and TEMP.

You'll need to restart any running programs for the new value to take effect. In fact, you'll need to restart Windows for it to begin using the new value for its own temporary files.

Yes, the unwrapper puts files into the Windows temp folder.

This can be moved to anywhere on your PC.

Here is one of many guides to be found on the internet and here is the relevant extract.

Nick, thanks so much.. this was incredibly helpful. 

I ended up just pointing all my Windows TEMP folders to a new location altogether, this has saved me getting a new SSD in the short term :) 

Your help is greatly appreciated! 

John 

Archived