Ireland/isle of man is not square!

Murray Parrott

Hello, this is my first post so order numbers and what not may not be posted. I have installed FTX England, Scotland and Wales. I am very impressed with the orerall look and feel of it so far. However there is a huge problem on the West coast of mainland Britain, that problem is the squareness and misplaced land textures in the sea around the isle of man and Ireland. Ireland_textures.jpg

As you can see, the coast does not look anything like as square as this in reality, and the Isle of Man is not made of 2 big squares.

I also have installed Ultimate terrain x and Ground environment X but I would not have thought the orbx scenery for England, Scotland and Wales would affect Ireland or the Isle of Man.

Hello David,

i'm not sure but it seems to see the whole Island (not a photo-scenery). 

on my PC it looks really good.

Just have a try.

If it will not satisfy what you want, just cancel it.

Just to clarify, the Problem includes Ireland itself, not just the Isle of Man. I know the default scenery in fsx is nothing to write home about, but I'm pretty sure they didn't make that much of a mess on the coastlines.

Focus on what can be seen in the map window, Default scenery is the outline on the left side of Ireland, the right side (including Isle of Man) is now all messed up after installing the Orbx scenery.

I am planning on buying the Ireland (north and south) scenery also, but if the Isle of Man is not included I guess this problem still needs looking at if I can only fix Ireland with the new stuff.

Any ideas Orbx folk?

Just to clarify, the Problem includes Ireland itself, not just the Isle of Man. I know the default scenery in fsx is nothing to write home about, but I'm pretty sure they didn't make that much of a mess on the coastlines.

Focus on what can be seen in the map window, Default scenery is the outline on the left side of Ireland, the right side (including Isle of Man) is now all messed up after installing the Orbx scenery.

I am planning on buying the Ireland (north and south) scenery also, but if the Isle of Man is not included I guess this problem still needs looking at if I can only fix Ireland with the new stuff.

Any ideas Orbx folk?

Hi,

When using a FTX region mode, the environment of flight is restricted to the covered area of the product. Going to outside can be messed. If you want a continuous flight, you have to use hybride mode but this one is only available if you've got a FTX Global product. If not, setting to Default reverse to what you have with the stock sceneries.

Have a look at the PDF of your products with links into FTX Central .That gives you the boundaries of each FTX Region

Hi there,

have you checked what the coastlines look like when you set FTX Central to Default and thus deactivate the three Orbx regions?

Something has to be amiss because the FTX Regions are self-contained meaning they don't alter waterbodies, road network, and other landscape components outside of their coverage area. I've attached a top-down screenshot showing the Isle of Man with only those three FTX Regions (ENG/SCO/WLS) active. It's taken in P3D but will look the same in FSX.

How do you have UTX arranged relative to the FTX block of entries? Any other add-ons installed for that area that may change shorelines or waterbodies?

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-54789500-1445441987_thumb.jpg

Holger you may be my only hope. The only options I seem to have is setting FTX central to Default or Europe... How exactly do I set it so that just England Scotland and Wales are being used? FTX_default.jpg

This image is with FTX set to default, I was above Liverpool airport and in the distance you can see Runcorn bridge, however the coast is now several miles away and also a bloody square!!

Any suggestions?

Hi Murray,

the fact that the coastline issues remain with FTX Central set to Default means you have to look elsewhere; it's not the Orbx regions causing the problem. Leave FTX Central at Default for now so that the EU regions remain deactivated and you can focus on your other add-ons for debugging.

Perhaps you have the UTX entries reversed (the exclusions entry needs to be at the bottom of the block) or UTX itself isn't configured correctly? Try running the UTX configurator panel as doing so executes some background config checks similar to what FTX Central does.

Cheers, Holger 

I've just done some further testing. The only area where the squarness is happening is Europe, I've been to France, Spain, Ibiza and they were all square. I've checked North africa and the USA and both are fine. The only changes that have been made recently to my FSX have been the addition of the Orbx England, Wales and Scotland add-ons and the disabling and removal of part of Horizon VFR England and Wales.

As my fsx did not have this squarness issue before, I have to assume that it is the "Europe" setting in FTX that has caused it. The VFR scenery I have partly removed is only covering England and wales, it was never built in to expand to all of europe at the click of a button like the Orbx scenery is so will never have had an effect as far south as spain. Also I don't see how the removal of a texture from an area would cause another area that the texture never covered to change.

Archived