Which Spitfire software to get?

Divot

Well, I am currently building a Spitfire simulator and have invested a LOT of time and money in it so far. It started out being for RealAir IX but the more I looked ito the real aircraft characteristics and operating parameters the less I liked the RA model.  Now if you want to fly a Griffon, then the Mk XIV is a good aircraft but if you like REAL Spitfires (ie Merlin engined) then you can't go past the A2A Wings of Power Spitfire 1A. Once this baby is "Accu-simmed", (an A2A programming method that faithfully replicates engine handling, temps and pressures, damage, maintenance etc) it will be far and away THE Spitfire.

The RA (which by the way IS the Flight 1) has very tame ground handling (won't tip on the nose if you overuse the brakes taxi-ing) and for the IX has a steerable tail wheel which is wrong.  I suspect the IX is a cobbled together shell on top of a XIV base (with opposite torque dropped in).  Flying "the numbers" with it certainly indicates this. It is very easy to land and very stable in all axes. Being a later marque it is also rather "heavy".  It is fun to fly and if that is your primary goal, it is the best. The engine damage model basically consists of "run it at full throttle for 5 minutes and the engine fails". Fun but hardly "engine management". The Mk XIV performs well to "the numbers". For mine the VC is a bit bland.

The A2A Spitfire 1A is a handfull on the ground, as it should be. Fully castoring tail wheel, very nose heavy on the ground, use too much power with brakes on or brake too hard whilst moving and over she goes. Very easy to bend the prop on takeoff, lacking some rudder authority until good speed is reached.

In the air it is masterful.  BUT it is twitchy in pitch, not really able to be trimmed out completely level..again as it should be. Aerobatics are a blast and landing requires practice and a tight adherence to the proper proceedures and speeds. It is after all a Fighter. it doesn't like being flown slowly and needs care.  

So, if you want a "fast" GA aircraft that looks like a fighter, get RealAir. If you want to fly a great little fighter (from the very early war, which are the only true Spitfires for mine), and you are prepared to work for a living, get the A2A.  Once you have put this baby into Dwellingup in a 16Knt crosswind, you will know that you can do anything!

The others available I wouldn't even consider.

My 5.7 cents worth (inflation adjusted)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Glad to help Alan,

As I said, RA is a great model but....

I want to get as close as possible. Another nice little touch with the A2A is that the IAS has to be corrected for Position Error!!

It all depends on what you want...as a pilot, I want 1, realism, 2 challenge.

A2A might drive some Cessna drivers mad...particularly over long distances where she needs constant attitude and course corrections. But..realism, realism, realism....for me.

Darryl

Have a look at A2A online store- Boxed- Wings Of Power-WW ll Fighters Special Edition RetailBox.For $ 29,99 you`ll get for FS9 and

FSX  5 Fighters :

P 51D-Mustang

Spitfire Mk l A

P-47D-20 Thunderbold

Messerschmitt Bf 109 E4

A6M5 "Zero"

All of them are great.Same planes as " SOLO "

After installation you get free upgrades for genuine FSX Sp2-Acceleration at the A2A Forum for 4 Fighters(except the Zero)

Best buy for FSX ever - except FTX.

O.K for impressions but, apparently, the A2A handles more realistically.....Im getting a little confused in my choice when the time comes .  Cost to , accu-sim adds about double ?

O.K for impressions but, apparently, the A2A handles more realistically.....Im getting a little confused in my choice when the time comes .  Cost to , accu-sim adds about double ?

Hi again Alan,

Yes, accu-sim will about double cost.

As I said before, if you want a tame, fast, pretty GA aircraft, go for RealAir.  If you have spent 12 months reading everything you can get hold of on flying characteristics and talking to warbird pilots, and want the faults as well as the good points in the Spitfire's flight envelope, go for A2A.

The other options are toys.

Darryl

I have to agree with Darryl. The A2A Spit just seems like it has more character and, and along with that, charm. A lot of that character and charm is due to it being an early spit version. Both have their strengths as they are in fact very different versions of the spitfire, but if you only get one, the A2A feels more like a warbird. In regards to accusim doubling your cost, dont worry on that one. Accusim wont come out till next year Im guessing. Comparing the p-47 with accusim, its certainly more than twice as good as the non-accusim version.

I have to agree with Darryl. The A2A Spit just seems like it has more character and, and along with that, charm. A lot of that character and charm is due to it being an early spit version. Both have their strengths as they are in fact very different versions of the spitfire, but if you only get one, the A2A feels more like a warbird. In regards to accusim doubling your cost, dont worry on that one. Accusim wont come out till next year Im guessing. Comparing the p-47 with accusim, its certainly more than twice as good as the non-accusim version.

Test Pilot,

Affirm on the P-47. Whilst it isn't my type of aircraft (lets face it, the Jug ain't so aerobatic!!) I got it to check out "accu-sim" and it IS the closest I have come in FSX to flying a real aircraft. I considered getting the B377 for the same reason but I'm just not a Tin Can kinda guy.

But the joy of going through the cockpit checks and having them actually MEAN something is great. As is waiting for one temperature to get into the green whilst "willing" another to stay out of the red. Ignore these checks at your peril...you can easily find that you are blowing smoke, coughing  and getting 1800 RPM max if you don't.  THAT is warbird flying.

Once the Spitfire is done and that Merlin has to be nursed/cajoled/threatened into playing nice...I will be a happy man.

Darryl

Seemed to be caught up in some threads at the moment    ;D 

Glad you came back firing Darryl  :D    I was still in muddle..  Only buying one...If I bought the real air I would always be wondering whether or not I did the right thing .  Then if I bought the A2A I would probably get tired of ground looping or something.    Its all about realism but one tends to go with the masses. 

To me its a no brainer  A2A with acu-sim -  its more realistic , may be more frustrating but hey,  that's reality.      Getting this before any tubes Im considering.    Good thread  cheers

Well, I am currently building a Spitfire simulator and have invested a LOT of time and money in it so far. It started out being for RealAir IX but the more I looked ito the real aircraft characteristics and operating parameters the less I liked the RA model.  Now if you want to fly a Griffon, then the Mk XIV is a good aircraft but if you like REAL Spitfires (ie Merlin engined) then you can't go past the A2A Wings of Power Spitfire 1A. Once this baby is "Accu-simmed", (an A2A programming method that faithfully replicates engine handling, temps and pressures, damage, maintenance etc) it will be far and away THE Spitfire.

The RA (which by the way IS the Flight 1) has very tame ground handling (won't tip on the nose if you overuse the brakes taxi-ing) and for the IX has a steerable tail wheel which is wrong.  I suspect the IX is a cobbled together shell on top of a XIV base (with opposite torque dropped in).  Flying "the numbers" with it certainly indicates this. It is very easy to land and very stable in all axes. Being a later marque it is also rather "heavy".  It is fun to fly and if that is your primary goal, it is the best. The engine damage model basically consists of "run it at full throttle for 5 minutes and the engine fails". Fun but hardly "engine management". The Mk XIV performs well to "the numbers". For mine the VC is a bit bland.

The A2A Spitfire 1A is a handfull on the ground, as it should be. Fully castoring tail wheel, very nose heavy on the ground, use too much power with brakes on or brake too hard whilst moving and over she goes. Very easy to bend the prop on takeoff, lacking some rudder authority until good speed is reached.

In the air it is masterful.  BUT it is twitchy in pitch, not really able to be trimmed out completely level..again as it should be. Aerobatics are a blast and landing requires practice and a tight adherence to the proper proceedures and speeds. It is after all a Fighter. it doesn't like being flown slowly and needs care.  

So, if you want a "fast" GA aircraft that looks like a fighter, get RealAir. If you want to fly a great little fighter (from the very early war, which are the only true Spitfires for mine), and you are prepared to work for a living, get the A2A.  Once you have put this baby into Dwellingup in a 16Knt crosswind, you will know that you can do anything!

The others available I wouldn't even consider.

My 5.7 cents worth (inflation adjusted)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome work DarrylH looking forward to seeing it in a completed state....... :)

Ordered the RealAir along with FTX SP3 DVD the other night.

Almost bought a set of rudder pedals as well, but realisted that they would be better with a yoke (instead of a Saitek X52), so my next commission cheque may cover those (sorry Adrian!)

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

Archived