Please Help Locating Large Dirt Airfield!

SAM Hunter

Hello all, I hope you can help me locate a Orbx airfield in Australia:

One with a large airport area and most important a dirt runway! Capable of handling large four engine World War II aircraft (B-17 - B-24) for film.  

If anyone knows of a town or city that Orbx developed for its Australia scenery that has a dirt runway please inform me with the location.

Town Name and Airport Name preferred.

Respectfully:

David

You might do well to ask on the Oziex forum too.. They have over three hundred strips in Aus.. I think you might get something in Northern Queensland or the top end of Western Austalia that might suit your purpose..Teecee.

Only to be considered a backup.

Ants Watts Bridge YWSG

It has grass runways and was actually used as a bomber training base during WW2.

Since then a road has cut the main runway so it may not have the length you are looking for.

Ants has a large photoreal area around it and a scenic mountain in near proximity.

Just rembered that Katoomba to the West of Sydney and in the Blue mountains (YKAT, available free at Ozx) has a long uphill runway, landings and takeoffs only available in one directon though. The width of the large AC may be a problem, not sure.Teecee.

Can't land (wheel brakes only) or take off a C130H from Ants Watts Bridge YWSG because I suspect it is too short and too bumpy.

YWSG.jpg

But I can land and take off form Orbx Lillydale YLIL.

YLIL.jpg

Hello all, I hope you can help me locate a Orbx airfield in Australia:

One with a large airport area and most important a dirt runway! Capable of handling large four engine World War II aircraft (B-17 - B-24) for film.  

If anyone knows of a town or city that Orbx developed for its Australia scenery that has a dirt runway please inform me with the location.

Town Name and Airport Name preferred.

Respectfully:

David

I'd say that a fully loaded  B17 should need something like 4200 feet to clear 50 feet.  You've a couple of OzX strips in the North which whould be OK like YMIP Mitchell Plateau (two runways), YGBI South Goulburn Island or with a lighter load YCPD Cape Don, YHTL Heathlands.  Good bases to deliver some goodies on the Imperial Army AB in PNG.

For the B24 I'm not sure. She certainly need longer runways except if you fly her unloaded.

Archived