How much of a performance increase would I get from overclocking 4770k from 4.3 to 4.6GHz?

Mac_Maddog88

So since I have watercooling now, I'm just considering performing this OC. How much of a performance increase would this yield? I'm using a H110 which is pretty much Corsair's top tier cooler. The highest my temps get is around 60 C at full load. So is this small overclock worth it? Would it run my CPU much hotter at all, and would the performance gain be worth the extra heat? 

Thanks,

-Mac

I have an old i7 with a base frequency of 2.8 so I tried overclocking and it did help.

My final Stable frequency was 3.7. 

I say stable because even though I can reach higher speeds they will not stay there and will eventually cause a computer crash.

At 3.7 my machine will run all day long without problems.

With all Flight Sims speed is king and 5.0 is the holy grail which is about as fast that can be purchased.  

My advice is go for it,

Make sure that you have a notepad and write down your changes.  

This is necessary because by the time your test run is over it's hard to remember what you did last.  

Your machine may run a couple of hours before failure or you decide to try for a higher speed so write down those changes and file them in a safe place so that you can duplicate them in case you have to do it all again.

Oh yes, your BIOS can loose your overclock settings and one morning you will boot up and discover that your machine is no longer overclocked.  It has happened to me twice and to this day I do not know why.  I suspect that the frequent power blips that happen here might be the cause.  

As I said earlier, Go For It.  Take the time to find your highest stable frequency it is worth the effort.

Archived