ORBX FTX England inadequate terrain picture

alainmoreau

I just bought ORBX FTX England and I am extremely disappointed by the very poor realism of the picture of the ground.

I will take only one obvious example which cant be related to an old version of google map.

Very close to Leeds Bradford Airport there is still the famous original and huge building where the Lancaster bombers have been manufactured during the second world war. This is not apparent at all on the ground. Note even on the picture of the ground. 

I could take some other example close to Barton (Manchester) airport where some huge landmarks such as Chill Factore or Intu Trafford Center (one of the largest shopping center in the UK) are simply invisible. 

Currently I reverted to UK2000.

This is very far to what's advertised.

It looks like the ground picture is not really related to the local area.

VFR flying doesnt make sens.

Regions can't cover every landmark and terrain feature, and they are not advertised as doing so, but they are a fairly comprehensive package.

You should be able to navigate with VFR using regions, all of the road networks, railways, shorelines, and powerlines are accurately represented along with proper placement of towns. If you post a screenshot we can verify everything is installed: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Some screenshots would certainly be of interest, but you really must remember Alain that the scenery makes no claim to be photoreal. Many landmarks are indeed represented, but overall the scenery is a fairly accurate "representation" of the UK. Teecee.

Wow! This post takes me back!!!

I grew up in Leeds - and that aircraft (Lancaster) factory is quite a landmark. As a boy, I used to go to all the air displays at Yeadon Airport (as it was called then). It's where my addiction started :lol:.

Years later I was amazed to hear a mention of the factory in an album by a band called "Spyrogira": http://letras.com/spirogyra/1717953/

I flew over Leeds a few times in my teens (in a Chipmunk, of all things) and must say I don't find that area of Yorkshire very convincing in FTX. I can't put my finger on it. However - Gloucestershire (where I spent many more years) looks great.

Adam.

Archived