PNW airborne neighborhoods, autogen malfunction, black boxes, green boxes in FSX

wparry

Hello,

I have PNW installed as well as the Portland City freeware pack.

FSX:SE

While flying in the scenery region I get black boxes appearing over airport lights, sometimes only for a second, others much longer. Seems it will happen again if I change views and come back but not always. I also get bright green boxes flashing under the airports, same as the black boxes around airport lights.

Autogen seems to only appear behind the plane. Behind the plane the scenery is a totally different experience full of autogen and clean scenery. Out of the windscreen it's blurry and flat.

Also I've run into complete neighborhoods hovering 1500 ft off the ground which is making some approaches rather tricky.

Any ideas?

Thanks 

Actually, it is the name of an add-on for those who want to use the DX10 features of FSX.  I guess it's safe to assume that you don't have DX10 running at all with your install of FSX.  You have any information on your system that may shed some light on whether this could be a hardware issue?  Where are your sliders set for your FSX settings?

-Jim

I assumed it was DX 10 since that's what the other games on my computer are running. The sliders are set automatically all the way up on everything, I've dialed some back. But it didn't have any struggles running the sliders maxed out prior to installing the OrbX scenery.

My system is running windows 8.1, AMD CPU, 8 gigs of ram, Geforce gtx video card w/1 gig of ram. 

I wonder if I would gain anything by reinstalling everything leaving out all the experimental add ons and add on alaska freeware scenery?

Yes, your system would be perfectly capable of running FSX:SE on it's own, but when you start adding scenery, airports, aircraft, etc. then your system has to work.  Your system specs are decent but nothing extraordinary.  Remember that even now, FSX is still more CPU-dependent.  i don't think you'll gain anything by reinstalling but what you could do is delete your fsx.cfg file and allow fsx to build a new one.  What all do you have installed for ORBX scenery?  Had you made sure that you are running the latest ORBX libraries?  If not, get that updated and try running FSX again.  I am trying to help troubleshoot by way of fixing what you have before you do anything as drastic as starting all over.

-Jim

Appreciate all your help.  

As far as Orbx scenery I only have PNW and the free Portland City. I've installed a number of freeware scenery packs or attempted anyway before discovering FSE and Orbx, a bunch of random Alaska airports.

I tried again and it's random with the flashes of black boxes, but it's definitely just the lights. I now notice that at night time the lights on the AI aircraft are also affected, the lights appear as black boxes but eventually the boxes disappear and you'll see the lights, but again this didn't happen before Orbx. The other thing I notice is the green box under the airport is exclusive to KPDX.

There's no lag or jerking or anything, if the system struggled wouldn't there be some of this? Would this place houses in the sky as well.

As far as the autogen malfunctioning, I wonder if you use time compression in a session if that will mess if that will scramble it for the rest of the session?

I'm not sure if it's updated libraries or not. I just bought it a few days ago.

Just delete that fsx.cfg file and it makes a new one on it's own?

I think I see where you're coming from now.  I too have experienced that in the past, but with a slower system.  This could  be attributed to your hardware since as you say, the boxes appear and eventually disappear.  I DO know that the Portland cityscape is a resource hog.  I have had issues with that too and oddly enough, the last time I had that happen, I re-assessed whether I needed a more powerful system.  All in all, you are experiencing what I have had happen myself and all i could say is that with FSX;SE, it may be a matter of sliders, possibly display drivers or even just your hardware.  ORBX uses a lot of resources due to its rather detailed design so you need a good system to keep up with.  I recognize that you don't have a lot installed right now, but they may change in the future.  Unfortunately, when it comes to non-intel systems, I really couldn't offer much by way of advice for tweaking your system, but there are plenty of places online you could look into.  Don't think I am trying to pass you off, it's just that the more I see what you have for a system, the more I believe that you may need a more powerful graphics card and quite possibly a better CPU (don't know your speed currently though).

Try dialing back your settings a little more, or rather, look further here at the forums for guides, specifically there are a couple good guides done that suggest the right settings.  It may or may not help and at worst, you'll realize what you may need to get everything looking right.

-Jim

I ran it again, I forgot I'm getting this message at start up

"Scenery.CFG file erro. Local scenery directory (ORBX\FTX_AU\FTAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY) in scenery Area.127 not found. Click ok to continue."

No idea what it means. But it's definitely not related time compression as all the issues showed up in the orbx region again. 

I tried moving sliders around but doesn't seem to make a difference, problems are still there with the off and on autogen, black box lights, and hovering houses.

Have you installed the latest Orbxlibs? https://fullterrain.com/support#orbxlibs

That will remove the scenery cfg error message.

Also, a picture is worth a thousand words so some screenshots and locations of the screenshots would be helpful http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Last night I went ahead and reinstalled everything. Haven't tried it yet. I'm trying to download the FTXORBXLIBS file from the clouds and the FTX but they keep coming through corrupt or damaged. I did grab some screen shots, just to figure out where they are ending up on steam. 

Locations where autogen was malfunctioning is random all over the pnw.

I've run into hovering houses over 04OR, W52, and S30

Last night I went ahead and reinstalled everything. Haven't tried it yet. I'm trying to download the FTXORBXLIBS file from the clouds and the FTX but they keep coming through corrupt or damaged. I did grab some screen shots, just to figure out where they are ending up on steam. 

Locations where autogen was malfunctioning is random all over the pnw.

I've run into hovering houses over 04OR, W52, and S30

Just a quick tip, when downloading from ORBX, try using a separate download manager, to avoid corrupted downloads and any security issues that may come up from anti-virus programs.  I use GetRight, and it works like a charm.  Much quicker downloads and never a bad file.

-Jim

Problems still remain, although there's a bunch of new buildings at the airports which is cool. Here's some screen shots.

Black box on airport light. 

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Dkj

Autogen seeming to work fine.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Dkx

Autogen only appearing behind the aircraft view out pilot window.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Dk5

Autogen appearing behind plane only

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Dkc

I took another look at the sliders, I thought it maxed out all of them but it left the two auto gen sliders set to the middle.  I maxed them out like the others and so far so good.  I just flew from S30 to 04OR with the best scenery I've seen so far, Didn't see any boxes over lights yet either.  I'll take a few more flights back through the area I had the issue and update.  

That's pretty much how it happens with the lights when it happens. It happened much less this time around and the black boxes were only there for a split second instead of 30 seconds or longer. 

I played around with the sliders I think it's about dialed as it's going to get until I upgrade the video card or something. I think you are both right with the performance or lack of. All the sliders can be maxed out until I get close to a denser area like Portland then I started having issues but was able to find a comprise on the sliders. 

Any suggestions for a video card? I have a Geforce GTX 980 right now I think.

Thanks again to both of you for the help.

What driver version are you using?  That can have a negative effect.  Is your cfg file over-tweaked.  One good suggestion is to delete the cfg file and have your sim build a new one.  You would be surprised that doing something like that can work wonders.

-Jim

I got the Dx10 enabled, makes a big difference, everything seems to be running correctly now. Have pull the autogen density down though, but still looks really good.

I think my video card may actually be GTX 680, maybe I'll try the new driver out.

Thanks for all the help.

Archived