CDK2 Diavik D Mine & CYCB Cambridge Bay - Elevation problem

Hi Guys,

Thankyou Larry Neil Josh & Mark for your latest freeware airfields all greatly appreciated.

A question for Larry, Do the airfields CDK2 Diavik Diamond Mine & CYCB Cambridge Bay require any other Orbx product apart from FTXGlobal Base to allow them to be placed correctly, ie; FTX Vector or FTX OLC Nth America Alaska Canada, or Pilots 2010 Mesh, as I have some elevation and placement issues with floating runways hills and depressions..... I am running FTXG Base with default Mesh 5m resolution.

CDK2 - has a large square LC tile covering the terrain and water, with water elevation/depression, airstrip is floating out into the water.

CYCB  - has hills on the taxiway, floating runway & boundary fence & objects.

Many thanks for your assistance.

(See Pics)

6cc17718e588a308c9a680e7fb3cd73a.jpg

19c48fcef0253ea8360f0f5f11f8a1e0.jpg

7aa0b8457c281e04d14f686d7535464d.jpg

16c5bb0e8dfb49ace702747f71534742.jpg

3ef17ea388ee9309465e61b8b6bb66af.jpg

0a082f6bc6d1df37a207c408bccc5677.jpg

c4792745e541e0b03f8e7ac9e9b3d531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Stew

You're not going to see the issues mentioned if you have Vector & OLC, because as Larry said above he made them with Vector installed and therefore compiled using Vector data, which has more accurate coastline data than Default FSX or P3D.

The reason I am seeing the placement and elevation issues is because I run FSX (FTXGlobal only) for these areas, where the original Global freeware AP's were going to be compatible to FTXGlobal default. I get caught out occasionally when AP's are compiled for Vector data, but hey they are free and appreciated, and for the most part I have only struck an occasional one where the AP doesn't quite fit the FTXGlobal/default. Sometimes I can switch off a BGL to make it settle in better only loosing a few of the intended features, and sometimes the AP does not fit as the Dev intended so I just switch it off completely, and others where there may be a fix I normally try to put up on the forum for the Dev to look at, if it is fixable then great, if not then that's not my call, it is free after all.

• 1 month later...

The problem with Cambridge Bay was that the elevation very bad without Vector. It is the only airport I have done where I left the Vector adjustment. Diavik is difficult since the elevations of the lakes near it is not very good in FTX. I corrected as much as I could but it was hard to do as for every correction 2 new problems pop up. It's probably the best compromise I can make for now.

Larry

Archived